3. His Guilt

Marriage is said to be the deepest and most complex form of human relations. In India, marriage is no less than a festival. It brings two families, having different ideologies, together two celebrate the union of two souls for a lifetime or maybe more. The two individuals pledge to each other their support in every step of their future. With the seven promises, the bride and the bridegroom finally enter the institution of marriage. They would now be considered as one. 

Aahana touched her mangalsutra as she remembered all this. She was finally a married woman, wife of Sameer Kapoor. She remembered the moment when Sameer had filled her partition with vermillion and tied the mangalsutra around her neck. She remembered the emotions she had felt, emotions which could not be described in words. She was nervous as well as excited for her new life. 

She looked around her new room. Coloured in black, the walls were completely bare. In fact she realised that every in the room was black except for the bed sheets. He must really be in love with this colour. As she thought of her husband, she remembered the expressionless brown eyes she had seen throughout the wedding rituals. It seemed as if Sameer was not actually present there, as if his heart and soul were somewhere else. She did not know what to interpret from all this. She did not want to judge Sameer but her mind could not help but form opinions.

Sameer entered the room and looked at his newly wedded wife. She was still dressed in her bridal lehenga, waiting for him. He took a deep breath and said, "Why don't you change and freshen up, Aahana?" He pointed towards the washroom. Aahana nodded and took her things to the washroom. Sameer too changed into his night wear. He sat on the bed and wondered, "I have destroyed her entire life. She must have had so many hopes from the wedding. So many dreams. But now everything will be destroyed. I am sorry, Aahana. I cannot love you. I cannot leave you. And I cannot tell you anything.

Interrupting his thoughts, Aahana re-entered the room. They both looked at each other. Sameer could feel her nervousness while she was still looking at his expressionless face. "Is there any problem, Sameer?" she asked. Sameer knew the reason behind this question. He smiled and said, "I haven't slept for two days. Just tired." Though she was not fully convinced, Aahana nodded. "Your friends did not attend our wedding?" This question took Sameer off guard. How was he supposed to answer this? He gulped and spoke carefully, "I am an introvert, Aahana. I don't have friends.

That Aahana was shocked would be an understatement. How could someone not have friends? She looked at him and tried to frame questions. Sameer chuckled and said, "I am connected to them on Facebook. Some of them even text me. But they are not like your friend. I am sorry I forgot her name. They are mere acquaintances." Aahana sighed. This man was a really mystery. She offered her hand and said, "Will you be my friend?" Sameer shook her hand and nodded. "Let's sleep now. You sleep on the bed. I will take the couch," said Sameer. Aahana shook her head but Sameer interrupted, "We barely know each other, Aahana. It's alright." Saying so, he went to the couch.

Sameer laid down and waited till Aahana switched off the lights. As soon as the room was engulfed in darkness, he let his tears flow. Aahana was a pure soul. He felt guilty of doing this to her. But he must. He must hurt her to live.

______________________________________________

So how is it?

What do you think about Sameer?

~Purnima