10. Help Me...

Birth of a boy has always been celebrated in the Indian society. He is to be the breadwinner of the household. He is supposed to carry the family name. He would support his parents in their old age. A man without a son cannot attain salvation. Innumerable beliefs are attached with the boy and with these beliefs comes the expectations. 

The society might have moved forward a little and started to accept the female-born but a man is still burdened by the expectations of the society. He is not at the liberty to express himself. He cannot feel fear. "Stop crying like a girl," he is often told. A man cannot be harmed. He is supposed to be physically and mentally stronger. And if he dares to confess his weakness, he is ridiculed by his kins and peers.

Aahana sat back in her cabin and repeated Sameer's words in her mind, "You will help me? What will you do? Will you believe me if I say that I was raped? Will you believe that a man can be raped? By a woman? Tell me?" Soon after his declaration, Sameer had left for his office. She was left alone to process the truth and deal with his parents and the rapist, as she would call her now. As soon as her mind had registered the situation, Aahana had left for her clinic. And now, she sat alone, wondering how to deal with the situation.

Her phone beeped. "I know you don't trust my words but please don't mention about this to anyone. My parents would die of guilt and Malini aunty will destroy my life. I beg you. I will do anything but please don't tell anyone," Sameer had messaged her. She sighed. His fear was not baseless. How many people would believe that a man could be molested, that too by a woman? People would laugh at the scenario, stating it's impossibility or claiming that the man must have enjoyed.

"How should I handle this situation?" Aahana wondered. In her three years of practice as a psychologist, she had never faced such a situation of dilemma. She wanted to see Malini behind the bars but knew that Sameer was too afraid to lodge a complaint. She was contemplating about what could be done, when her phone rang. Sameer was calling her. Aahana answered the call, "Yes Sameer." Sameer apologised for losing his temper earlier in the morning. He declared his acceptance to the fact that she could not believe his words and requested her not to mention this conversation to anyone. Aahana chuckled humourlessly, "Think about yourself for once, will you? Rather than being worried about your parents' and society's reaction or what that rapist can do, think about yourself." Her words shocked Sameer to the core. "I believe you, Sameer, and it was not your fault," Aahana whispered.

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~

"I believe you, Sameer, and it was not your fault," Aahana whispered. 

Nothing could surprise Sameer as these words had done. He had expected her to ridicule him, to declare his confession as rubbish. But here she was, trusting his words. He did not know why he felt so but hearing her words had given him a strange relief. He was not alone. There was someone who trusted him, believed his words. He felt grateful.

Sameer thought about his childhood. Every time he was with his aunt behind the closed doors, he was reminded that he deserved this. He was reminded that the pain, both physical and emotional, was his reward. Every time he tried to tell someone, the punishment was severe. He could never let anyone touch him without flinching. He could never make friends because they found him weird. He would either sit in a corner or would lash out at somebody. And now, here was a person who was ready to believe him. Someone who did not blame him. Someone who did not ridicule him. Was this true? Could this be true? Could someone really understand him? 

Sameer was lost in such thoughts when he heard Aahana calling his name. "Yeah I am listening." He heard Aahana speak, "I believe you, Sameer, and I want to help you. I am a doctor, Sameer. Let me help you. Please." Her words brought peace to him. Someone wanted to help him. Could he also live a normal life? Was it possible to forget the memories? Would the nightmares stop? Would he be allowed to take decisions for himself? "Sameer," he heard Aahana through the phone. "Help me," he whispered.

__________________________________________

So, how is it?
I have entered this story for an awards...wish me luck 🤞

~Purnima

PS. Any potterheads? Let's discuss some Harry Potter theories....