Chapter Thirty-Nine

NOVA GREATLY CONSIDERED THOR'S OFFER. Or at least she tried to. But her mind was occupied by intruding thoughts that she had never felt before. The God laid spread out on his bed with his bare chest exposed to the moon which peaked effortlessly into the window. Nova Lee had insisted she slept somewhere else, even a couch or chair in the library, but Thor was persistent. He promised her he'd stay on his side and simply let her sleep. But Nova was doing everything other than sleeping.

Even with his eyes closed the girl knew he was awake. He was observing, testing her thoughts and wondering if she would exploit them aloud. She was watchful as she laid her head on her arm curling her legs up to her chest. The man had no blemishes. No tough edges, no nasty scars, not even a dot upon his skin. His chest was sculpted carefully appearing like the hills of a sandy dessert. His arms were gentle, Nova knew that, she pressed her head into those arms a million times yet didn't feel the effects till then.

Although Thor was strong, stronger than any being she had known, he was also gracious. He cared for Nova more than she could comprehend. He would never shy away from a battle, he was named arrogant, too hot-headed for his own good. But Nova didn't see that god. She saw the god who would risk everything for love. The man who was filled with so much light, it poured out on everyone around him. To Nova, Thor wasn't the powerful all mighty god. He was the protective man with gentle loving hands and a careful mind.

For a moment Nova Lee's tough exterior fell to reveal the vulnerable girl who missed every opportunity for love back on earth. She didn't give much thought to curling her body into the space between his torso and arms. Thor smiled with his eyes still closed appreciating the girl's gesture. She finally closed her eyes resting her head in his shoulder and let the soothing sounds of his breath drift her to sleep.

••••

When Nova finally woke up, Thor was gone. She frowned at the spot he was once in wishing the god's active body could relax for just a bit longer. Instead she saw the maid Dalla folding fabrics systematically in the hall beside the room.

"Good morning Lady Nova," the blonde said turning to her with a smile.

She walked quickly over to the bed with a cloth still in hand letting a bubbly smile take over her lips.

"Are you courting the prince dear Nova? What a grand thing! Prince Thor needs a cool natured girl like you to accompany his large worth. A perfect match if you ask me, you are so alluring of course-"

"Dalla," Nova interrupted sitting up swiftly.

The small girl blushed furiously embarrassed by her sudden outburst.

"What does courting mean?" Nova asked in response to her long observation.

That made the Asgardian chuckle, "It means you're involved, it's a bond that has intent for marriage."

"Me? Marry a god?"

"Why yes, why else would the man allow you to enter his chambers?"

"His bed you mean?"

"A man's space is very personal you know. I couldn't help but notice he has asked for your things to be placed in with his which is yet another sign of his undying devotion to you."

Nova stared dumbfounded at the girl puzzled at the new knowledge.

"How am I supposed to know he even wants to be 'courting' with me?" Nova asked with wide worried eyes.

"The people of Asgard have never seen our Prince so enlightened. If anything your arrival here has secured the line of Asgard's royal family. It's like you belong here Nova."

Nova hardly heard the girls squeal as Dalla squeezed her into a tight hug. Her senses shut off when the young girl finally bounced out of the room. She couldn't possibly settle, just not yet. Not when something still weighted heavy on her mind. Thor shouldn't go on without his brother at his side, Nova wouldn't allow it. For it was she that got in between the family's bond and it would be her that strung them back together.

Nova Lee jolted out of the grand bed and laced her Asgardian sandals onto her feet. She had a prisoner to visit.

———

thoughts on Nova and Dalla's friendship??