Chapter Twenty-Six

NOVA WOKE UP TO THE SOUND OF RUNNING WATER. Her body felt surrounded by warmth as her ears tried to pick up the sounds around her.

"I'm so sorry Nov," a voice said quietly as she tried to open her tired eyes.

"I should've went with you, I knew it was a bad idea."

Nova Lee felt her damp clothes being plucked off her body as she sat motionless finally opening her eyes. She saw May knelt down in front of her while she laid in the tub. A light smile appeared on her lips as she saw her blonde friend.

"What happened?" Nova asked groggily as May let out a shriek pulling her into a tight squeeze despite her appearance.

Nova realized just how filthy her body really was as the bath water turned a muddy color. She sat up slowly, grabbing the edge of the tub for support. May touched her arm lightly as Nova winced at the cuts on her body.

"What the hell happened to you!? I told you to call and I was so worried- The freaking Avengers are in my house right now. Nov I'm freaking out!"

Nova ignored her friends outbreak as she tried to wet her dry lips. She knew her face and hair were still coated with blood and mud but when she heard May speak of the Avengers, she spoke up.

"Thor?" she asked as her voice shook.

May sighed while trying to scrub the mud off her cheek, "he's been waiting outside the door for you all afternoon. And he drank all my coffee."

The brunette smiled softly again as she tugged at her sports bra strap trying to ignore the uncomfortable dampness.

"I'll bring him in. But you have some explaining to do."

Nova's body felt tired, but not as exhausted as her mind. She knew Loki had spend some time manipulating it but regardless of his threats, the girl didn't believe he was a killer. He helped her in his own type of way. Nova's eyes drifted to the door as Thor stood tall hardly making it through the doorway. The woman tried to ignore the uneasy feeling in her gut as he sat beside the tub peering thoughtfully into her eyes.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his accent causing Nova's insides to twist.

The most she could do was nod as she watched him pull his hand up to her face. She could tell he felt guilty for his brothers actions, but Nova didn't need him to apologize. She didn't need Thor to worry about her at all. All she needed was for him to be there. To stay with her.

Thor then turned the water on grabbing the shower head as he gently ran it over Nova's head. She felt his fingers run through her hair and over her face as she closed her eyes. She knew her cheeks were flushed as she felt like a child allowing him to do this, but her mind relaxed at his touch.

"Are you in pain?" Thor asked as he ran his large thumb over her freckled nose.

She shook her head again sighing quietly, "he didn't hurt me you know."

Her voice was a whisper due to the fear she had that Thor might snap at the mention of his brother. The god seemed vulnerable as he wiped the remaining dirt from her face. Thor wanted to reach out to her and take her in his arms. He wanted to assure her he would never allow anything harmful to come to her again. Thor wanted to tell her how wonderfully beautiful she was to him. But instead he pulled the wet strands of hair from her face and pursed his lips together in thought.

"The car accident was my fault I was drinking and I should've never got in the car. He promised he wouldn't hurt me. He got a nurse to clean up my wounds and he knew you guys wouldn't come without a fight so he sent me away. He protected me-"

"Enough!" Thor interrupted as he looked away from Nova's pleading eyes.

She cautiously held her hand out to his face, her finger tips brushed over his beard as she lifted his eyes back to her.

"I know how much anger you feel because of Loki's actions. But all I see is a troubled man who wants nothing else but to feel the love and gratitude that he has been missing all his life. He wasn't going to hurt me Thor. He just let rage get the best of him."

Thor placed his large palm over Nova's hand that still rested gently on his jaw. Her chest tingled at warmth his presence brought.

"I don't want you to worry about me anymore," She paused looking deeply into the gods enchanting eyes.

"I want you to see me as more than just a helpless human you are obligated to protect."

Nova's voice was quiet as Thor let her hand fall back into the bath water. He looked at her closely, admiring her earthly features and caring eyes. Everything about her sparked curiosity in Thor that he had never felt before. He felt the burning fire in her, he knew Nova was capable of so much more than she believed.

"Trust when I say, I see so much more in you dear."

———

The Thor and Nova reunion you've all been waiting for!!