Chapter Eleven

NOVA AVOIDED THE BLONDE GOD THE NEXT DAY. Which she found to be a difficult task considering how nosy he was to make sure she was okay. No one else seemed to know about her outbreak the previous night and she intended to keep it that way. She kept herself busy by taking on tasks for Tony and occasionally checking her phone to see if she received a response from her friend in Dallas.

She hoped May was her way out of this artificial world and back into the reality she had always known. But a part of her knew that she was never happy there in New York, and going to Dallas wouldn't change a thing. Something had always been missing in Nova's life and no matter where she went the emptiness would follow.

She stared off in space as Bruce Banner looked at her leg tapping on her knee occasionally and making grunting noises in the process. Besides her fall last night, her leg did feel better. She was desperate to get on her feet again, being cooped up in her room was driving her crazy.

"What's the consensus doc?" Steve asked as he came into the lab leaning his shoulder on the door frame.

"It's all looking good, her fractured leg is healing up nicely and the memory loss is at a minimum. I'd say it's safe to start some physical-"

"Training?" Steve asked with a smirk cutting off Bruce.

"No, I don't think that's a good idea."

Steve shrugged his shoulders frowning, "come on, Tony and I agreed it's best to give her some experience so she can defend herself. What do you think Nova?" the soldier asked turning to the girl stretched out on the table.

She huffed slightly as Bruce gave her a weary look, "No, I'm not a killing machine."

Steve shook his head as he came up next to her pulling her up to sit on the table, "Not training you to kill, just training you to protect yourself. You know better than anyone how dangerous it can be out there.." Steve's words dragged off at the mention of Nova's mom.

"Besides, Nat and I will go easy on you."

Nova rolled her eyes rubbing her head in frustration, "Fine. But no trying to recruit me for the team if this works out," she responded pointing a finger at his chest.

He nodded with a satisfied smirk as he helped her off the table.

"Training starts tomorrow then."

Bruce stopped Rogers on his way out the door, "Physical injuries are on you Cap, the doctor is out."

Steve smiled putting his hands up in surrender at an angry Bruce Banner, "will do."

••••

One hour into training the next day and Nova was already regretting her decision. Nat had made her run laps despite her recent doctor's release and Steve kept giving her motivational speeches in between which only furthered her anger.

By the 10th lap of Steve's encouraging and Nat's yelling Nova began to believe in violence. Steve began to laugh as Nova stopped running holding her hand on her chest trying to get breaths out. "I could choke you both right now." She said through heavy breathing.

"That's the spirit," Natasha said with a smirk, "Now let's start the real training."

Nat took her out on the mat as Steve watched from the corner of the room. The assassin started by showing her basic movies to block hits and throw a fist effectively. Nat did go easy on her as she threw a punch at Nova which she easily ducked under. Once Natasha saw the small improvements she took it up a notch.

"You gotta know your opponent's weak spots, Nova," Nat stated bluntly as she swiped her legs from underneath her.

Nova's body fell heavily on the floor as she grumbled holding her back, "Dammit I thought you guys said you wouldn't kick my ass?"

Steve laughed again coming up from his spot on the wall and pulling her up by her hands.

"You throw punches like you were told to hit a puppy, you gotta be more aggressive," Nat said with a smile as she took a sip from her water bottle.

Nova Lee pulled her shirt down firmly as she crossed her arms at the two soldiers. As she had said before the freckled girl wasn't a fan of violence.

"Come on there's gotta be something that sets you off," Steve said tapping his chest and stepping away from the pouting girl. "Get angry and then hit me right here."

Nova frowned at him with her arms still folded, "but I don't wanna hit you," she replied with a huff.

"You're gonna want to hit him if he makes you run another lap."

Nova glared at Nat's words as she finally gave in unfolding her arms and backing up as she concentrated on his chest. Her punch was gentle, not even moving Rogers an inch.

"Try again."

So she did. Again and again, till she grew more and more frustrated. She failed to notice the arrival of the God. He came in quietly watching Nova recklessly throw her hands at Steve as he moved around slowly dodging her. Her face was tinted red and was focused as she tried to take down Captain America.

Eventually, she stopped hitting, throwing her hands up in annoyance, "You're Captain America for fucks sake I can't possibly have any effect on you!"

Thor dropped his hammer at the door coming up to them with a smile, "how about you try a god then?"

Nova frowned even harder if that was possible as Nat and Steve stood to the side with amusement playing on their faces. "We'll be back in a while, try not to set her in a fit of rage," Natasha said as they grabbed their waters and headed out quietly.

Once they were gone Nova glared at the man towering above her, "I'm not going to fight you," she mumbled sitting down on the mat below them.

"Why is that Lady Nova?"

She picked at her leggings in frustration as strands of her hair dangled into her eyes from her ponytail. "Because it's pointless."

"You have not attempted it yet," Thor said holding his hand out to her, "you must stand, you will be unable to do much damage from there."

She groaned taking his hand with uncertainty. He pulled her onto her feet grabbing her waist in the process. She quickly pulled her body away from him nervously. Even after spending time with the God his abilities still filled her with uneasiness. Luckily she hadn't witnessed his powers in action. Aside from the obvious burnt lines etched onto her chest. Those of course were the source of her nerves about the man.

He noticed her quiet nature and got into a fighting stance. He began by pushing her gently trying to get her to unfold her arms. She stubbornly grumbled as he watched her face become flushed.

"I will continue pushing until you fight back."

"Stop."

Thor ignored her demand smirking as he nudged her body again.

"I said stop!" she yelled angrily.

"Anger is the source of all violence. I know you have got rage in you mortal, you just have yet to let it out."

———

A longer chapter for you guys, the next chapter will continue where this one left off. Don't forget to vote and comment!