56 ★ Never disappear

𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕤' 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕧𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 - 𝔹𝕚𝕓𝕚𝕠

"The words have gone

But the meaning will

Never disappear"

Cedric POV

     "Are we there yet?" Hendrix asks for the millionth time, and I let out a chuckle at her growing impatience. She holds a gigantic picnic basket, while I'm the one holding her. It's past lunch time, and I know she's starving.

      After picking her up from Tressandra and Ryk's home, I promised her I would bring her out for a date to celebrate her birthday, which happens to be today. What I didn't tell her is that there are several other things planned for the day that she's not expecting.

      She's my mate, my Luna, and I'll do anything for her. It's time she knew that.

     "Here we are." I tell her, reassuring her gently as her impatient nature starts to show more and more. She's ready to get down, always against being carried for any amount of time.

      I can tell that Hendrix recognizes the place I've taken her instantly. She knows the field as well as I do, it's the field where she demanded to see my other form. The place where she accepted both halves of me. The flower speckled field feels special to me now, like it's a place of our own to get away.

      Setting her down, I take the basket from her. It's weight is slight, but she shouldn't be holding anything too heavy just in case. I'm not taking any chances.

     I lay out the heavy blanket, making sure to put it in a shady spot. I open the basket and start unpacking all of Hendrix's favorite foods. All of them hold copious amounts of sugar. I'm not surprised. The assortment of deserts gleams in the sunlight.

     She settles herself down, reaching for a cookie as she lays down on her side, shoving the sweet in her mouth with a grin.

      "19 years old. I'm getting so old." Hendrix complains, but even I know she's joking. Her sarcasm amuses me, so I smirk.

      "Oh yeah, you're ancient. You should look into a nursing home." She chokes on her cookie when she laughs, and I join in with her.

     Of course, being the sweet girl that she is, she offers me some of the comma inducing food, and I decline. It's too sweet for my taste. As long as she likes it, that's all that really matters.

      She takes a swig of a soda, looking up at the sky. The sky in Montana is almost always bright blue in the summer, not a cloud in sight some days. In fact, that's why they call it big sky country, the sky seems to go on forever before it disappears behind the mountains.

      "What's it like being a lycan? Like when you shift. You're enormous, you can see things from miles away. That must be pretty cool." She sighs dreamily, like she wishes she could experience it. It's so mundane to me, so every day. I never thought how different it is for her.

      "I'll have to take you for a ride some time, you could see everything I see." I offer. Hendrix's eyes grow wide at the thought.

       She puts down her cookie and lifts an eyebrow.

      "Really? But what if I fell? From that height, I'd break my neck among other things." She shivers, looking at her food and then back at me, I think she may have lost her appetite.

       I swallow a growl, hating the idea of anything bad happening to her. Luckily for me, she's agreed to be my mate, and I get to make her as happy as I can for the rest of our lives. There will be no pain in her future.