12 ★ Mercy

𝔹𝕝𝕖𝕖𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘 ℍ𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥 -𝕁𝕚𝕞𝕚 ℍ𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕣𝕚𝕩

"Have mercy,

have mercy now"

Cedric POV

"This one has been tampered with, dammit." Savannah groans out in annoyance as she fiddles with the object in question. She tries to delicately take the camera from the tree, but it's stuck. She finally just rips it free of the wood and tosses it to the ground with a thump.

I stand on the sidelines with my hands shoved in my pockets as I rather impatiently wait for her to be done with this. Not that it will make the time go by any faster, but I'm too riled up to be stuck out here in the first place. At least being in my classroom will somehow convince me it's almost time to meet with my mate again.

It's funny how decades of my life can pass me by like a blink, but a few hours of waiting seem like an eternity. It's all Hendrix's fault.

My Beta has dragged me out into the forest for the second time, and I still don't know why I have to be here for this. Again. It's a pointless effort, and I can't help but feel as if she's purposefully trying to waste my precious time.

She doesn't seem concerned about the cameras being broken. I would think it would anger her, as most things tend to do, but she just shrugs her shoulders nonchalantly. Savannah's been quite somber today, and I don't know how long it's been going on, and I still don't know why.

It's hard to pay attention to anything when Hendrix is all that I think about. I'm antsy to get to her. The sight of her alone calms the darkest parts of my soul. I almost feel normal when I'm around her, if that's even possible.

"Is that all the cameras? They're all broken?" I ask, my voice holding a hint of the strain I'm experiencing behind closed doors. I don't care for conversation now, or ever really, but Savannah is acting off right now.I need something to reassure myself that my Beta hasn't completely lost her mind.

She furrows her black eyebrows as she stares down at the spy cameras strewn across the forest floor between her feet.

"Yeah. I'm not too worried. They won't suspect anything, the news of wolves in the woods would cause anyone to put up surveillance." She explains, kicking the autumn leaves with her black boot and huffing a dramatic sigh. She puts her hands on her hips.

"And... you're not freaking out about it?" I ask dubiously. Savannah shakes her head.

This definitely isn't normal for her. Maybe she's just tired? I can't claim to understand females. They are confusing if nothing else. They're always changing their moods.

I can only hope that my inexperience won't harm my relationship with my mate. The human species is strange, but females take it to a whole new level. My mate just happens to be both.

"I didn't know if it would work in the first place." She admits, and I shake my head. It's better to distract myself with this conversation than be anxiously waiting to see Hendrix in a few hours. I want to pace back and forth instead of standing so still like this.

"And yet, we wasted time and money with this." I gesture to the cameras with a glare. Savannah purses her lips in amusement, shaking her head.