prologue

𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔻𝕠𝕠𝕓𝕚𝕖 𝔹𝕣𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕤 - 𝔹𝕝𝕒𝕔𝕜 𝕎𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣

"come and dance

with your daddy

all night long"

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
2003

"Daddy! Play somethin' good!"

Beau beamed down at the darling girl that was nestled on the couch, clutching a stuffed puppy in the crook of her little elbow. Her big doe eyes were bright and brimming with childlike wonder.

His daughter was the thing he cherished most in this world. From her tousled brown, curly locks to the remnants of sticky popsicle juice on her full lips and rosy cheeks, the girl was the light of his life.

"Alright baby girl, see if you can groove to this lil tune." He drawled, lifting the stylus of the turntable between his fingers gently. He knew from the moment he saw the way his daughter reacted to music that she was more like him than her mother.

     It was something that made him very happy. To be able to share his passion for music with his child was a gift sent from heaven above.

Beau found the perfect record from his expansive collection and placed it on the player, a grin painted on his face.

As the music filled the room, his little girl jumped for joy as she began dancing happily on the rug, twisting and turning with her pink ring sticking out.

She loved The Doobie Brothers, and it made Beau a proud Papa.

The little southern princess that she was, she twirled and spun to the sound of "Black water". Her cheeks began to redden from the exertion and heat of the summer temperatures.

     The heat didn't seem to faze her, she continued on with determination.

Chuckling to himself, Beau turned and started to dance too. His movements were very overdramatic and sloppy, but it was all on purpose.

Because as soon as he began his ridiculous dance his precious little girl erupted in a fit of giggles, her sky blue dress twirling in the air when she jumped up and down.

     He was nothing if not an expert at making her laugh.

"Daddy! You're so silly." She said, her sweet little voice bursting with joy. Beau grinned.

"Is that so? You don't think your old man can dance?" He asked, an eyebrow raised. "Isn't this how it's done?"

Suddenly, his arms flew in the air and he waved them around like a crazy person. He was awarded with more giggles for his performance.

As the song came to a close, Beau dropped onto the couch, out of breath from all the shenanigans but still wearing a thoughtful smile on his lips.

"Daddy, can I pick an album now?" She asked, at her words Beau nodded.

"Sure thing, baby girl. Let's see whatcha got." He said in between pants of breath. "Careful with it, sugar."

He watched with pride as his 3 year old daughter expertly pulled a vinyl from the shelf and slipped it free of it's sleeve. Her tiny, pudgy fingers lifted the stylus and replaced the record.

She grinned wide, one of her two front teeth missing, adding an endearing gap in her smile.

With her stuffed toy in hand, she climbed onto her Daddy's lap and snuggled into his arms while the music started to play with a few warm crackles.

Beau wrapped his arm around his princess, when he began to hear a wonderful sound.

It was the sound of a Steely Dan song. He then realized that hadn't even showed her the band yet and quizzically peered down at her.

"Baby girl, mind tellin' me how you know this one?" He questioned as he played with the soft chestnut ringlets on top of her head. Her dark eyes stared up at him with something akin to guilt. "Hmm?" He pressed, trying to hide his amusement at her sudden shyness.

"Well," she sighed, "when you're not here Mama's always busy. I get so bored. So I gotta listen to some of your music. It makes me happy, Daddy." She explained, nervously fiddling with her skirt.

Beau smiled and pinched his daughter's cheeks to get her to look at him.

"Never be ashamed of music, baby girl. Never." He reminded her, and she lit up at his words. All the guilt and appreciation gone as she wrapped her arms around his middle.

"Understand?"

"Yes, Sir." She nodded profusely and Beau let out a chuckle.

"I love you, daddy." Mumbled his daughter, snuggling deeper into him with a sigh.

"Daddy loves you more, Hendrix."

✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰

     If you're reading this, you're a beautiful person:)

Welcome my people! Prepare for a journey