Chapter 14: Dinner with the Madisons

Evan Touber

CHAPTER 14 Dinner with the Madisons

"So, my dear brother, just how did you get Ky Madison to go out with you?" Jake asks me as we get into the car. "Did you flatter her with all your talk about how much you admire her? 'Oh Ky, you're so awesome.' 'Oh Ky, you're so amazing.' 'Oh Ky, you're so cool!'"

"Okay, that's the last time I tell you about my life!" I exclaim. "And I only ever told her how much I admired her once! Just once!"

"Fine then, how'd you get her to go out with you?"

"She..." I hesitate, "...she asked me-" As Jake starts to laugh, I exclaim, "Hey! Just let me finish, okay? Sheesh...I can't get one word in without you bursting out laughing! Anyways...she asked me to be in a fake relationship with her so that she wouldn't have to get a real boyfriend just to rebel against what Mandy put on In&Out."

"Aha, so you're not really going out with each other, you're just pretending?"

"Yeah, but don't tell her parents, I don't think she wants them to know."

"Hm. So...why'd she pick you - of all people?" Well, gee, did he really have to add on that last part?

"Something about being unexpected."

"Oh, that couldn't be more true." he laughs. "I expect you have a social life now, because of her." And I shrug in response, but really that's the part I'm the most happy about. People are talking to me now. I don't sit in the back of the bus anymore. People know my name. "Aren't you glad we moved?" Jake says with a proud smile.

"I'm always glad we moved, Jake, regardless of whether or not I have a social life."

At this, the car falls silent. Other than the gentle hum of the engine, there's not a single sound.

After a few minutes, I quietly ask my brother, "What are we going to say if they ask us about our parents?"

After a moment's thought, Jake asks, "You think they will?"

"You heard Ky's mom in the principal's office, didn't you? 'We'd like it if Evan and his family would join us for dinner.' Family means with parents."

"Not necessarily."

"Well, in her head it does."

Jake thinks. "We'll tell them...that we moved out from our parent's house, and that I have guardianship of you."

"What if they ask why?"

"They won't; it's inconsiderate."

"But, hypothetically speaking, what if they do?" I push.

Jake falls quiet with thought again. He softly answers, "I don't know..."

I don't know either. I decide to change the subject, so I say, "We could have just walked, you know. Their house isn't that far."

"Evan, just cuz you're some weird mix of nerd and jock, doesn't mean that I am. I'd be sweating by the time we got there, and I don't think you'd want me to be sweating the first time we get invited over to your fake girlfriend's house; it'd make a bad impression." Jake tells me. "Hey, do you think we dressed too casually?"

"No; given how Ky dresses, I think we dressed too formally." I say, looking at our button-up shirts and semi-formal dress pants. At least out shirts aren't tucked in. "Well, you can pull it off, since you're an adult... But button up your shirt, would you? What, are you planning to hit on Mrs. Madison? She's more than happily married, you know!"