Chapter 5: Lay Off My Friend or SUFFER

CHAPTER 5 Lay Off My Friend or SUFFER

George Yole and a few other mean-looking boys and girls are crowded around none other than poor Madelin Cho. Our eyes widen in horror and shock as we see her staring down at her sneakers, desperately wanting to be anywhere else in the world right now but here. She mumbles something that nobody else but the ones picking on her can hear.

"Oh? You have to go?" George asks in a mocking tone, and his voice sickens me. "Where ya goin' Nerd Girl? To the library to pick out a book on how to be a loser? Well, you won't be needing it cuz you've already got the role down." he sneers, and the crowd around us laughs cruelly.

Madelin mumbles something back, and I feel proud of her for holding in the tears that should obviously be pouring down her pale cheeks.

"God," a mean girl who's name I don't know jeers, "Why are you so ugly? Your parents must hate you because you keep breaking all their mirrors with your ugly face!"

I feel a very strong desire to punch something (and/or someone), and I'm about to start cussing the whole crew out (even though I am against cussing simply for the reason that everybody else does it) but then Madelin looks up into the mean girl's eyes and says quietly - but strongly enough for us to hear: "My parents love me very much."

And I feel that feeling of pride in my chest again. But then George Yole has to go and burn that all down when he opens his big mouth again:

"Are you sure about that Nerd Girl? I bet they secretly hate you. I bet they can barely stand to look at you. I bet someone had to give them a billion dollars just to keep them from tossing you into a junkyard the day they first saw your ugly face."

O-kay! That is IT! "And I bet someone had to pay your parents five trillion dollars just to keep them from throwing you into a volcano because they were so ashamed they gave birth to a hideous, horrible, falsely narcissistic BEAST!" I nearly roar.

The whole crowd falls silent and stares at me as I glare furiously at the lot, boiling rage burning like hot magma inside my chest.

I stomp over - Evilyn and Kelsey at my side, both equally as furious as me - and we shove off the crew hanging around Madelin like sick vultures hanging over meat.

"How dare you talk to her like that, you over-grown ass of a pig!?!" I snap George Yole as the three of us stand in front of Madelin protectively. "Were you all pitying yourselves because you're all stupid apes, and decided to take it out on her because she's the smartest girl in this school? Pathetic!" I spit venomously.

"Lamentable." Evilyn adds with a dark sneer.

"Pitiable." Kelsey throws out as well.

"And I bet you don't know what any of those words mean, do you?" I scorn, my words lapping heatedly like a hazardous flame. "You brainless bunch of trolls." I hiss at all of them.

And yes, I did just say that to the captain of the school's wrestling team (and company).

I step a little forward to look straight up into the piggy eyes of George Yole. "And the next time you - or any one of your little troll buddies - pick on my friend," I raise my fist threateningly, "I'll make sure to pay you what you deserve."

He's so scared you'd think I'm holding a bloody chainsaw to his overly large head.

The crowd is quiet, hanging on to my every word. I sense fear within them, and not just from the people I'm threatening, who are about ready to pee their pants and/or miniskirts. I need to wrap this up before somebody calls a teacher, so I say: