Chapter 23: Invited

Ky Madison

CHAPTER 23 Invited

"Please come to the wedding," Stephanie had requested of us. We had all expressed our confusion in unison. "I just...think it would be more enjoyable for Evi if you came to my wedding too, so..." She looked up at us with gorgeous, pleading turquoise eyes. "Please?"

Well, were we supposed to say no to that?!?

"They're sleeping," Kelsey's whispered voice is the first thing I hear when I wake up. I don't open my eyes though; it'd probably make things more amusing if they believe I'm still asleep. And - if things are going to be amusing - Kyle might want to be awake for this too. Gently, I stroke his neck with my thumb, and once he makes a slight motion telling me he's awake, I tap my pinkie twice, telling him to pretend he's still sleeping.

"They're..." Madelin starts in a voice quieter than usual.

"Yeah, they're cute." Kelsey whispers back, giggling. "You know, I still don't have a picture of them sleeping together yet. Andrew, pass me my camera!"

As I feel Andrew reaching over my shoulder to pass Kelsey her camera, I tap my brother's neck three separate times, and he lets out a short breath in response.

I assume Kelsey's turned on her camera by now. In my head, I count: One... She's probably lifting it up, pointing it at us. Two... She's probably putting it in focus, ready to take the picture. Three! Kyle and I both open our eyes and stick out our tongues as Kelsey's camera clicks.

"Aw! You guys suck!" she exclaims as she looks at the picture she wasn't expecting. Kyle and I start to crack up. I lift my head off his shoulder and we both crane our necks to see the picture, laughing harder at the pout on Kelsey's face. "I almost had it! How long have you two been awake?!?" she whines.

We've been sitting in the car for hours, driving through the mountains. At some point Kyle and I must have fallen asleep without realizing it. But it seems the car isn't moving anymore. "Are we here already?" we ask the others. 

"Yeah, we were just about to wake you up." Evilyn says from the front seat. My twin and I exchange glances, and then we excitedly swing open the car door and run outside.

"Snow, Kyle!" I laugh happily. I throw myself into the soft, white material and start sweeping my hands and legs in unison. "Look! I'm a snow angel!" I exclaim.

My twin brother laughs at me and says while looking at me adoringly, "Yes, you're the most beautiful angel there is."

I smile brightly at him. "Well then you must be a beautiful angel too, becau-" My smile falters as the chilliness of the soft ice flakes I'm laying in finally hits me. "Gah! Cold!" I jump up and leap into my brother's arms as the others climb out of the car to watch us.

Kyle's really laughing now. "Well, did you expect to throw yourself into a pile of snow with the clothes you're wearing and not get cold and wet?" he asks me good-naturedly, rubbing my back where my shirt is soaked through. "You're going to catch a cold being so careless!" 

"Ooh, Ky got scolded!" Andrew teases, his hands resting coolly in his pockets with a scarf wrapped warmly around his neck while I shiver. Tsk! "What a naughty little girl."

With my eyes narrowed at Andrew, I murmur into my brother's shoulder: "Kyle, Andrew's teasing me. Punish him."

With a light chuckle, Kyle whispers back, "Of course, my shivering snow angel." And then his face turns serious. As soon as he releases me, he scoops up a handful of snow from the ground and chucks it straight into Andrew's face.