Chapter 13: The Principal's Office

Evan Touber

CHAPTER 13 The Principal's Office

I sit in the principal's office with Ky in the seat right next to me. She seems quite comfortable in here, her arms crossed casually, her head slanted coolly to the side, waiting calmly for the principal to walk in. But me?

I'm as twitchy as a squirrel on coffee.

I've never been in the principal's office before. I've never had detention before. Heck, before a few days ago, my teachers - like everybody else - hardly even noticed me! What's going to happen to me? Am I going to get detention? Am I going to get suspended? Am I going to get expelled?

"Sorry," I hear.

I turn my head in surprise to see Ky looking me up and down; examining me. "H-huh?" I stutter.

"I'm sorry," she repeats, her expression perfectly serious, watching me carefully, "I should have remembered they installed more cameras in the hall."

I take one moment longer than necessary to stare at her. Hey, I can't help it, I don't hang around pretty girls as often, and Ky is certainly one of the prettiest.

"No...I..." I start slowly, "In a way it's...it's my own fault for not running away like everybody else." I say, referring back to when Kyle, Evilyn and Kelsey (taking Madelin to safety with them) had jumped up and run off as soon as Ky had uttered the words "I'm bored."

Ky blinks her creamy brown eyes at me, and then lets out a clear, chime-like laugh. "Well, at least you learned your lesson!" Somehow, I'm filled with a sense of accomplishment. I made Ky Madison laugh...on purpose! The sense of accomplishment doesn't stop my nervous twitchings though.

Ky stands and leans over  to the principal's desk, pushing a button on the phone. As I wonder if she's really allowed to be doing that - which, she's probably not - she says to the phone, "Yolanda, are you there?"

And the phone responds with the same voice that had called our names over the PA system, "Yes, Ky, what is it?"

"Do you have anything for anxiety? I think Evan's leg's gonna fall off if he keeps shaking it the way he is." And as she says this, I bring a firm hand down on my leg to try to get it to stop shaking. It stops for  second, and then it just keeps going.

"We have herbal tea," Yolanda responds.

Ky looks back at me. "Do you drink tea?"

"Um, y-yeah, tea is fine." Wait, she's really going to give me tea? Are we in the principal's office or a five-star hotel?

"Tea is fine, Yolanda, thanks." Ky says into the phone, and then she takes her hand off the button and leans back into her seat. A few minutes later, a well-dressed lady walks in with a steaming cup of herbal tea. She hands it to me, and after I nervously thank her, Ky asks, "So, what's taking him so long?"

Him? Oh, right, the principal. "He's with the vice principal right now. After he calls your parents he'll be right in." Yolanda tells her.

"Wait, is he calling my mom or my dad? Please say he's calling my dad. Please- Yolanda?" Ky calls after her as Yolanda starts to walk out of the room, "Yolanda? Y- Yolo? Don't leave me hangin'! Yol-" The door closes, and Ky slumps into her chair again.

Did...she just call her "Yolo"? I stare. "Uh, something tells me...you're in here way too often..."

"Just drink your tea, Touber."

"Yes'm." I obey immediately.

And then I quietly sip my tea. Every so often I'll sneak a glance at her, just to see what her expression looks like, and then find myself staring at her longer than I mean too. She's so...attractive. Which is weird of me to think, considering that she and Kyle look almost exactly alike.