Chapter 7

"Mom, how is she doing?" Eva asked on the phone as Emma sat impatiently in the waiting room. The doctor's had taken Regina to a room to run a few test almost an hour ago and Emma felt herself becoming more tensed with the second.

"They still haven't informed me yet. How are you all holding up at home?" She questioned and bit her nails.

Emma never bit her nails, except for now. It gave her some sort of calmness.

"We're worried, obviously. Come back home soon, please. With Regina."

"Sweetie, we'll come home as soon as possible, but she needs to be strong enough. I miss you all," Emma replied and swallowed.

"We miss you too. Give her a kiss from us," Eva said.

"I will," Emma responded and they both hung up the phone. Emma kept her eyes fixated on the big clock hanging above the door and tapped with her hand on the armrest.

She wanted just any sign of Regina being okay. She needed a sign that everything would be alright with her wife.

"Ma'am, could you stop that, please," a somewhat older lady asked and gestured at her hand.

Emma nodded briefly and continued biting her nails. A nurse came walking to the waiting room and looked at his notepad.

"A Mrs. Swan for Mrs. Mills," he read out loud and Emma immediately jumped off her chair.

"That's me," she said and held up her hand for the nurse to shake it.

"Follow me, please," the nurse said after briefly introducing himself. Emma followed him through brightly lit corridors.

People were hurrying through the halls, Emma saw people crying and Emma noticed people exclaiming in happiness.

Her heart pounded loudly when the nurse stopped walking. "She's doing fine. She'd drunk something that had a bad effect on her - probably worse than intended - but she's doing alright now. She's asleep, but you can go to her as long as you're quiet. She needs her rest."

Emma nodded quickly before the nurse opened the door. She hurried to the side of Regina's bed and sat down on a chair next to it.

A machine showing her heart rate beeped beside her, but furthermore it was quiet. Except the sound of Regina's steady breathing.

The blonde couldn't help but smile at her wife. She looked peaceful and strong.

It had been a hectic two days, but here she was with the woman she loved most in the world.

Suddenly, Emma felt someone tapping on her shoulder and she looked startled over her shoulder.

"Excuse me, Mrs. Swan, I'd like to talk to you for a moment," a redhead doctor asked and Emma nodded slightly confused.

"Alright.." she said as she followed the doctor to her office and sat down opposite at the doctor's desk.

"I'm doctor Ariel," the woman introduced herself. "And I'm going to inform you on everything that has happened to her, but first I'd like to check if everything's alright with you."

The woman stood up and walked towards something that looked like a table. "Please, sit down. We heard in what circumstances the cops found you and I first want to check your lungs."

Emma chuckled softly and waved her hand dismissively. "That's really not necessary. I'm alright."

"Mrs. Swan, please do as I ask," she said and sighed softly. "It's totally understandable that you're worried about your wife, but you must make sure you're okay yourself as well."