2. A Memorable Christmas

Song for this part is All the things she said by t.A.T.u.

Louis POV

"You're wasting your time Lou," the cop said. He'd been called by the neighbors to investigate sounds of screaming during the party. Now he stood in our nasty living room talking to me. It wouldn't be nasty later. I was going to power clean until it was presentable to Naomi. Right now however it was 2 in the morning, and I was being forced to endure yet another lecture on my poor friend choice, while Harry slept off his drug use.

"He just needs someone to care about him!" I insisted.

"I know you care about him Louis. You gave up your entire career to do it, but its not working okay? He needs rehab...and specialists."

We were talking about Harry of course. The local cops had been patronizing me about him for months now. Every time they were called to our apartment, which was more often than I was comfortable with, they would give me this exact same speech. They were kind about it but the message was always the same. Give up and make him someone else's problem.

"He's getting better," I added firmly still.

"Louis I can smell it in the house." I stiffened at his words. "I have half the mind to search it and take him in right now but I doubt he's left anything to find because he's already used it all."

My face fell from hopeful to hopeless.

"He shouldn't be out free Louis. He should be in a home where he can't reach the bad stuff anymore. You just cant help him anymore."

I'd bought us a flat. I'd gotten him nearly clean, given up singing, given up a social life, taken him out of the public eye, bought him the lightest liquor I could, bought him patches, gotten him in AA, NA, and therapy, I'd done everything. And somehow he kept finding his way around it. Somehow everyone was telling me it wasn't enough. It was all I could do not to break down and scream right here.

"There's got to be something I can do." I said hopefully. "I can't just give up on him."

"If the cops are called again, I have to take him. I've got no other choice. And I don't want to see him taken away from you like that. We don't want to see you hurt. You're a good kid Lou, but you have to do what's right. You're in over your head with this one."

I gaped. "Even if I told him to go to rehab, he wouldn't."

"Then get it court ordered," he suggested.

"I would never," I didn't even hesitate to say it. "I have no reason to. I'm managing him well on my own."

He didn't answer me.

"Me and him are fine," I continued trying to convince myself. I wouldn't let them take him. I couldn't let them. He was my best friend. I'd promised to take care of him no matter what. After everything, I couldn't just let it all go.

"If I get called again Lou.... He's gone." He turned to leave. He was almost gone when I stopped him.

"If he was to go to a rehab facility..." I paused biting my lip. "What ones would be.... Easiest for him?"

He nodded sadly looking somwhat pleased with my possible compromise and handed me a handful of pamphlets. "I already asked these 3. They'll take him as soon as he's ready."

* * * * * *

"Your girls cute," Harry said leaning across the arm of our couch watching me. He winked suggestively. "I like her hair."

I smiled remembering her soft wispy hair. It was light coco brown as was her deep eyes. Her face was light and smooth and rosy in the cheeks. She was more than cute. She was absolutely beautiful.