Nineteen

The next couple of days passed by blissfully but the holidays arrived sooner than I would have liked.
“I can’t believe it’s already Christmas, it seems like we only just got here.” Harry complained, watching as one of Ron’s knights took out his pawn. We were seated in the common room and I was watching Ron and Harry play yet another game of Wizard Chess.
“Speak for yourself, I'll be glad to see the back of this year.” Ron grumbled.
“I wish it didn’t have to end.” I pulled my feet up onto the chair and rested my chin on my knees.
“That’s just so you can have some more snuggle time with Malfoy.” Harry laughed, making a gagging noise. The smile faded from Ron’s face and he shifted awkwardly in his seat, I felt my face flush red.
I shot Harry a look and quickly worked to change the subject. “What are you doing during the break?”
“Dad got us tickets to a Canons game in a couple of weeks and Harry is coming to stay for a while, you’re welcome to come as well.”
“Thanks, I’d love to.”
“What about you?” Harry asked, directing his pawn across the board.
“Oh, not much.” I mumbled, meeting Draco’s family... no big deal.

“It’s time.” I said to the boys after a while and stood up, clearing my throat. “If you would all like to make your way to the entrance hall, the carriages will be arriving soon to take us to the train.”
Ron and I stayed behind while everyone filed out of the common room.
“I’m going to miss this place.” I murmured to him as we followed the last person out of the portrait hole.
“It’s only for a month.” Ron rolled his eyes, a smile on his face.

“Welcome home, sweetheart!” Mum smiled as we walked through the front door. I sighed peacefully, everything was exactly the same as when I’d left all those months ago.
“Why don’t you go get settled and I'll put the tea on and then you can catch us up on your year.”
I nodded my head and lugged my bag up the staircase as dad followed with my trunk.
“What do you have in here, bricks?” He complained as he hoisted it on to the seat at the end of my bed.
“Books.” I grinned, he rolled his eyes playfully.
“It’s good to have you home, book worm.” He pulled me in for a tight hug before leaving me by myself.

“Tea’s ready.” I heard mum call up the stairs, I left my things on my bed and made my way downstairs.
“So, how’s school?” Dad asked casually, I ate my biscuit slowly, buying myself sometime. Okay, here it goes.
“Good. Very interesting.” I cleared my throat. “Actually, there’s something I wanted to tell you.”
“Oh?”
“I, um.” I felt my cheeks blush red. “I sort of have a boyfriend.”
“Sort of?” Mum cocked an eyebrow and I saw a small smile pull at her lips.
“Um, definitely.” I mumbled. “I definitely have a boyfriend.”
“Is it that strange red-haired boy?” Dad asked after a moment and Mum coughed into her hand, trying to stifle her laughter.
“Ron.” She interjected.
“Ron. Right.” Dad nodded slowly. “He’s always seemed keen on you.”
“No,” I shook my head quickly. “Not Ron.”
“Is it Harry?” Mum asked then.
“No, they’re my friends.” I rolled my eyes.
“Some of the best relationships come from friendship.” Mum murmured, smiling at Dad.
“Not these ones.” I grumbled, picking up another biscuit.
“So, who is he then?”
“His name is Draco.” I said quietly, Mum let a small smile grace her lips as dad pursed his.
“That’s a strange name.”
“Dad!” I rolled my eyes. “He’s really nice, you’d like him.”
“Well, when do we get to meet him then?” Dad asked, Mum looked up hopeful.
I blanched. “Oh, well.”
“I hope we’ll get to meet him these holidays.” She piped up.
“Well, about that.” I trailed off. “He’s asked me to meet his family.”
I watched dads face as he processed this, he only spoke when the colour had faded to a pink.
“So, you’re serious about this kid? I was...” He trailed off, clearing his throat. “I was only kidding about meeting him.”
“Well, I really like him and we’re serious enough that he wants me to meet his parents.” I murmured with a shrug.
“In that case, we’d like to meet him too.” Mum set down her tea and looked at me expectantly. “Why don’t you invite him over for dinner one night?”
“Okay.” I said hesitantly before turning to look at dad. “But only if you promise to be nice.”
“Scouts honour.” Dad raised his hand and mum rolled her eyes with a small smile playing at her lips.
“He’ll be on his best behaviour.”