Twelve

"Good morning students," Professor Dumbledore greeted everyone at breakfast two days later. "As some of you may already know, senior classes have been cancelled for this morning." The room erupted into a mixture of groans and cheers but were quickly silenced with a look from the headmaster.
"The reason for the cancellation is we are beginning our rehearsals for the second Yule Ball." He explained, Ron groaned next to me and put his head in his hands. "After breakfast, I ask that all the senior students stay behind to begin your lessons, all other students are to report to their classes as normal." The room buzzed with chatter as the food appeared and everyone demolished their meals in anticipation of what was coming.

"Alright," Professor McGonagall's voice echoed off the walls of the Great Hall, sweeping her arms from side to side. "Gryffindor's over there." She directed, motioning to the left side of the room, "Slytherin, there." Pointing to the right side. "Ravenclaw in front of me, and Hufflepuff behind."

When everyone complied, music started spewing from the same large record player that had been set up last year.
"Is it really that bad?" Ginny whispered as McGonagall directed everyone to pair up within our houses.
"It's okay," I just shrugged, grimacing as we exchanged glances. Anything Ginny was going to respond with was cut off by Professor McGonagall calling out to Neville.
"Mr Longbottom, over here please." We saw Neville cast a nervous glance around at everyone, apparently hoping someone would come to his aide, but no one did. Ron had a relieved expression on his face, probably remembering when he'd had to be McGonagall's partner last year.
"Pay close attention ladies and gentlemen, when we have finished you are to choose a partner and begin."

Professor McGonagall lead Neville in a waltz, making him seem almost graceful as they moved throughout the dancefloor.
I partnered up with a hesitant Ron when I saw Harry grab Ginny and attempted to replicate some of the moves that Professor McGonagall had done, but with a partner like Ron it was impossible.
He didn't even look at me as he took my waist, he kept his gaze firmly trained on the wall behind my head and didn't acknowledge me at all.
"Are you ever going to talk to me again, Ron?" I asked him after a moment, his two left feet stepped on mine as we tried to move to the other side of the floor. "Ow!" I cried out.
"Sorry." He murmured, his face turned a light shade of red.
We danced in silence for a while with the occasional cry of pain when Ron would step on my toe.

"I need to tell you something." I managed to say softly after a few minutes of thinking over how to tell him I wasn't going with Krum.
Before I had the chance to say anything more, the music cut off and McGonagall was calling everyone to attention.
"That is enough practice for today, you are all dismissed to go get changed for your afternoon classes."

"- Malfoy?" I heard Ron's voice as I stepped out of the common room portal.
"None of your business, Weasley." He was leaning casually against the portraits on the wall, I saw the knight in one of them tsk frustrated, trying to see around his head. "Granger, a word?"
Our eyes locked and a small smile graced his lips, before I had a chance to form a reply, Harry beat me to it.
"Why do you want to speak to Hermione?"
Ron's confused look had turned into another glare, his eyes fixated on me. "She doesn't have time for the likes of you, Malfoy. She's too busy getting ready for her date with Krum."
A gasp escaped my lips the same time I heard Ginny's intake of breath beside me.
"Date?" Draco murmured, his shock leaving him almost speechless. "With Viktor Krum?"
"See, Hermione." Ron growled. "Even Malfoy thinks its ridiculous that you're going with him again."
"Going where?" Draco asked, his confusion made way for anger. His eyebrows pulled together and I could see the heat rising up his neck.
"To the ball." Harry clarified, though his tone clearly implied that he didn't know why he had to.
"I see." He mumbled.
"I...Uh." I muttered, "It's not..." Draco stalked off before I had the chance to say anything else.

"Why would you tell him that?" I growled to Ron and Harry, watching his retreating figure.
"Why does it matter?" Harry said. "It's just Malfoy."
"It's not just Malfoy." I turned my glare to Ron. "And you. How dare you be mad at me for living my life. I'm not going to the ball with Viktor Krum, but even if I was it would be none of your business and you have no right to judge me."
"You're not?" Ron asked automatically, apparently ignoring anything else I'd said.
"Wait," Harry interrupted us, "what do you mean not just Malfoy?"
"It's him I'm going to the ball with." I pushed past them, Ron's face was a mask of horror.
"What?!" I heard him exclaimed as I walked down the corridor but I was too relieved to acknowledge it. It felt as though a weight had lifted from my chest, I wound my way through the hallways hoping to see Draco somewhere but he didn't seem to be anywhere.

I ended up finding him near the Black Lake, sitting on the grass near the spot where he had kissed me for the first time. I took a deep breath to steady my nerves and walked over to him.
"Hi." I said softly as I sat down next to him.
"Granger." He replied in greeting. "What do you want?"
"To apologise." I told him, the giant squid was sunning itself on top of the water in the lake, I watched it as I waited for Draco to say something.
"You're going to have to be more specific than that." He said, his tone cut through his words sharply.
"I'm sorry for everything." I told him, "I should have told them about us."
"I think I know why you didn't." Draco mused, I glanced over at him and saw him looking out to where the giant squid was.
"You do?"
"You're either cheating on me with him or you really are ashamed of me." A gasp escaped my mouth at his words.
"Are you kidding me?" I exclaimed, "of course I'm not!"
"Sure seemed that way to me," He argued, his voice sounded defeated almost as though he'd accepted it. "You told your friends that you were going with someone you knew they despised to avoid telling them that you were going with me."
The way he said it was like a slap in the face, my whole body felt cramped with guilt as it washed over me. "I'm sorry, and for what it's worth I told them before I came here."
I saw Malfoy nod his head slowly out the corner of my eye. "When you were forced to."
I was shaking my head instantly, "I was going to tell them anyway, please."
"What did you think was going to happen when you told them you were going with Krum? Did you think maybe they just wouldn't notice?"
"I wasn't thinking, I was just nervous and when Ron asked if that's who I was going with I went along with it." I turned toward him slightly, he caught my eye for a second before he dropped his gaze to the grass.
"Okay." He relented after a moment, he brushed the dirt off his hands and stood up.
I followed suit quickly, my heart felt as though it was in my throat. "Will you forgive me?"
"I don't know, I need a moment." Draco ran his hand through his hair, messing it up as he finally met my stare.
"Oh." It was my turn to drop my gaze to the ground. Malfoy hesitated for half a second before he turned on his heels and stalked back up the hill.

[AN: Let me know what you think :)]