Sixteen

I made my way around the courtyard to where I could see Ginny waiting for me.
"Where's Harry?" I murmured when I'd reached her.
"Oh, he's gone to Honeydukes with Ron so he's going to meet up with us later."
"Oh, right." I murmured, "how is he, anyway?"
"Well, let's just say that I wouldn't go running up to him just yet."
"Ah." We started the small trail to Hogsmeade.
"He's a little less angry about it, if that's any consolation."
"It is," We made our way up the path, skipping over puddles of water. "So, do you need to get anything in particular?"
"Not really, do you?" I just shook my head and we walked the rest of the way in a comfortable silence.

As we rounded the corner, Hogsmeade came into view and we headed for The Three Broomsticks. It was surprisingly empty as we entered and grabbed a booth in the middle of the room as we waited for Harry to arrive.
"So, have you thought of what you might wear to the ball?" Ginny asked as we sipped our butterbeers.

"Not really, to be honest." I mumbled, "maybe that's something I should look at today."
"Probably, it is a week away after all."

"Merlin's beard, is it really?" I almost choked on my butterbeer. The doorbell dinged as Harry and Ron entered the pub, they both spotted me at the same time and paused by the door. The smiles on their faces dropped and I saw Ron murmur something to Harry before walking back outside.
"Do you think that was because of me?" I whispered to Ginny as we watched Harry make his way over to us.
"Oh, I don't think so." She said quickly though her tone was doubtful."Hiya, Harry."

"Hi girls," he slid into the seat next to Ginny. "I got this for you." He murmured as he handed her a small Honeydukes gift box.
"Oh, Harry." She gushed, taking the gift and giving him a kiss on the cheek "You didn't have to do that."
Harry glanced awkwardly in my direction, "sorry, Hermione. I didn't know you were going to be here, otherwise I would have gotten you something as well."
"Oh, no that's alright." I murmured feeling oddly intrusive now, as though I'd just crashed a date. "I might head off actually."
"What?"Ginny said at once. "No, please stay."
I was already out of my seat, "No, no. I really should look for something to wear to the ball. Have fun, love birds." I turned on my heel and walked out of the pub without waiting for another protest.

I made a beeline for Gladrags Wizardwear, silently praying that they had something for me to wear. The last thing I wanted to do was ask my mother to find me something.
"Welcome to Gladrags Wizardwear, dear." The assistant strode up to me. "Looking for something for the Yule ball?"
"I am, thank you." I waited expectantly, she ushered me through racks of clothing to the back of the store.
"Formal wear is over here." The lady gave me a gentle smile, "just shout if you need help."

I shuffled through rows of dresses and pulled out the ones that I liked. Please, please, please be one of these. I murmured in my head as I made my way to the dressing room, I didn't like shopping at the best of times, let alone to something I didn't particularly want to go to.
I took a deep breath and got to work. Too tight. Too big. Too clingy. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, I fit into a dress that I felt comfortable in.

I stepped out of the dressing room and made my way over to the floor length mirror to admire the dress. It was a deep red colour, almost black and hugged my hips slightly before falling to the floor, the bust was cut high across my collarbones and the sleeve just covered my shoulders. This was it, I could feel it.
"You look beautiful." I heard Draco's familiar voice behind me, I glanced over my own shoulder in the mirror and saw him looking at me in a way I hadn't seen for so long that it made my heart ache.
"Thanks." I mumbled, letting my eyes drift to the dress robes that he was wearing. "You look nice."

He gave a light chuckle and I felt my lips pull up into a smile, "thanks. For the ball?"
"Yeah."

"Same," The silence seemed to stretch forever, "so do you um... do you have a date?"