Fourteen

"Hermione?" I faintly heard someone's voice call out to me. "Hermione." I recognised the voice a moment later as Harry.
"Sorry, Harry. What did you say?" I glanced around the hall, the tables were almost empty now, everyone rushing off to get things done last minute before classes started for the day. I turned back to Harry then, he'd moved from his seat next to Ron a few spaces down and was now occupying the seat that Ginny had left.
"Are you okay?" He murmured with a worried expression on his face.
"Yeah, yeah." I tried to brush it off but my voice sounded flat even to my own ears. "I'm just tired."
"Okay," he said somewhat reluctantly. "Do you know where Ginny went?"
"Yeah, she's gone to the library."
"Right, thanks." Harry made to move but then sat back down again, his voice sounding more timid as he spoke again. "I'm sorry about the other day."
"That's alright." I told him quietly, I thought briefly about telling him about what had happened but I couldn't find the words.
"No it's not. If you want to go to the ball with Malfoy, then that's your business, not anyone else's."
My throat constricted painfully, my tongue suddenly felt like sandpaper in my mouth. "T-thanks, Harry."
"And Ron will come around eventually." He said after a moment but his voice gave away his doubt. I just nodded, staying quiet. "Right, well... I'd better go."
I watched Harry walk out of the Great Hall in the direction of the library.

I felt my stomach drop as I the heard the warning bell sound for classes a few minutes after Harry left. Ten minutes until potions.
I got up from my untouched breakfast, my legs feeling like jelly and walked unevenly out of the Great Hall, I was so focused on the ground that I didn't notice when I bumped into someone.
"Oh!" I exclaimed, "I'm so sorry."
"That's okay." Luna's airy voice said, "Hermione, you look awfully sad, are you okay?"
I tried to swallow back my annoyance. "I'm fine, Luna. Thank you."
"That's good, I best get to class, bye."
"Bye." I murmured but she had already walked off.

I made my down to the dungeons for potions class, hoping that by some luck I will have beat Malfoy but when I got to the classroom I could see him already seated at the desk that we shared.
I took a deep breath and thought briefly about going back to my dorm to buy myself some time but quickly dismissed it. If I went back now I'd be late to class and would then have the whole class to see our awkward exchange.
I walked as calmly as I could manage over to the desk and put my book down on the table as I pulled out the chair. I saw Draco look at me from the corner of his eye.
"Good morning." I whispered, barely audible.
"Morning." Draco's low voice said after a moment, you could almost cut the tension with a knife. I wracked my brain for something to say. "We don't have to do this." Malfoy said after another moment of awkward silence.
"Do what?" I murmured, confusion knitted my eyebrows together.
"These awkward conversations." He mused, "We never spoke before so we shouldn't have to now."
I felt as though I had been slapped across the face. Again. "Right." Was all I managed to say.

The palpable air seemed to be cut when the Professor walked into the classroom, seemingly unaware of the tension she had just interrupted.
"Ms Granger, Mr Malfoy." Professor Lite said in surprise as she strode to her desk at the front of the room. "You both are here awfully early."
"Yes, Professor." I murmured after a moment.
"Very good," She said only half paying attention to what I had said. "I seem to have forgotten one of my quills. I will be right back."

"I'm sorry." Malfoy's voice broke the silence once Professor Lite had left the classroom.
"For.." I prompted, feeling a light blush cover my cheeks.
"For trying to make this work.." He trailed off, gesturing lazily to the both of us. "It was clearly never going to happen."
"Right." I fought against the anger bubbling up inside of me. "What was your intention, anyway?" I grumbled, the words coming out sharper than I had intended. "Did you just want me to realise my feelings for you?"
"No, of course not." Draco retorted, looking annoyed with my accusations, which only continued to fuel my anger.
"Then what was it?" I could feel my eyes starting to sting. "Maybe you just wanted to see what it would take for me to fall for you."
"Or maybe I just wanted you." He looked at me from the corner of his eye, a frown on his face. "Why is that so hard for you to believe?"
I glanced down at my hands, all words seemed to stick in my throat. I could hear people starting to arrive for class behind us.
"It just doesn't make sense." I finally managed to get out.
"I'm aware, thank you." He said abruptly.
Professor Lite called the class to attention as she walked back in, cutting off my chance for reply.
Potions class passed by in a blur, Malfoy and I didn't exchange another word, even during our practical. When it came time for class to be over, Draco packed up this things before the Professor had even managed to finish dismissing everyone and he was out of his chair a moment later, walking as fast out of the classroom as he could without breaking into a run.

"Students," Professor Flitwick motioned for everyone to pack away their things. "The Headmaster has cancelled the afternoon classes for today, if you could all please remain in the Great Hall after your lunch break for your dance rehearsal." There was an eruption of disappoint around the classroom.
"It's not that bad, everyone." Professor Flitwick shook his head in astonishment, "off you go."

Lunch passed by rather quickly and before I knew it, the tables were being cleared away and everyone was gathering around Professor McGonagall again.
"Today I will be observing." The Professor started when everyone had settled around her. "I want you all to choose a partner and start the dance that we were learning last time."
I watched as Harry and Ginny took each others hands and found a spot on the floor, Pansy had her arms around Draco in a way that made my blood boil, and as I glanced at Ron, he was grabbing the hand of Lavender Brown and she looked simply delighted.
I stood off to the side, feeling out of place until Neville approached me and as it turned out he was a lot better at dancing than anyone had given him credit for.
"You're a great dancer." I told him once we had finished for the day.
"Thanks, I've been practicing." He beamed, a light sweat covered his forehead.
Professor McGonagall stopped the music, "well that wasn't nearly as disastrous as I thought it would be."
A small chatter started up as everyone found their friends, the Professor waited until the room quietened down before she dismissed everyone.
"Dinner will be starting soon, so everyone go wash up and then come back down for the feast."

"Good evening, students." Professor Dumbledore called the hall to attention once everyone had found their seats. "I trust that you all had a productive day of classes. Before we eat, I would like to take this time to re-introduce to you, our guests for the next 3 weeks." With a clap of his hands, the doors to the Great Hall opened and standing in the doorway was Durmstrang Institute.
"Headmaster Karkaroff and the students of Durmstrang Institute."
The Great Hall erupted in cheers as the Durmstrang students entered, though not quite as dramatically as when they had arrived for the Triwizard Tournament.
My face turned beetroot red as soon as I spotted Viktor, walking behind the Headmaster.
"Albus!" Headmaster Karkaroff exclaimed once he had reached the Professor's table at the front. "My dear friend."
The students of Durmstrang were seated with Ravenclaw while Headmaster Karkaroff was given a place at the Professor's table.
Professor Dumbledore hushed the room after a moment. "And may I have the honour of introducing to you again, Headmistress Maxine and the lovely ladies of Beauxbatons Academy."
The hall seemed to breathe as one as the girls of Beauxbatons entered the Great Hall, beautiful as ever.
Headmistress Maxine walked first, towering over everyone else easily, the girls had to walk 2 steps to match every one she took. She reached the Professor's table quickly, Dumbledore reached out to kiss her hand and lead her over to the end of the table next to where Hagrid was sitting, he stood up clumsily, knocking over a goblet of juice and attempted to smooth down his unruly hair.
I stifled a chuckle as he spluttered about, kissing her hand and trying to get her to sit down.
Professor Dumbledore ended the announcements quickly and soon enough, the food was served.

[I WASN'T SURE WHAT TO DO WITH THIS CHAPTER SO LET ME KNOW AND I SWEAR ITLL GET INTERESTING SOON XX]