Five

I heard my alarm buzzing way too early the next morning, rubbing my eyes awake, I grabbed my towel and toiletries and made my way to the prefects bathroom down the corridor from the Gryffindor common room.

"Hermione," I heard Ginny call from behind me, she was jogging to catch up to me with her towel in her hand.

"You're awake early" I noted as she slowed her pace next to me, she just nodded as we entered the Prefects bathroom - which technically Ginny wasn't supposed to use, but at this time of the morning, no one would be there.

"I have last minute homework to do before class," she explained, "why are you up?"

"My alarm went off at the wrong time for some reason" I shrugged, moving away from her to go to one of the shower stalls, Ginny's voice behind me made me stop what I was doing.

"I didn't mean to offend you" she said "last night, I mean"

"Oh. No, I just can't believe Pansy made all those rumours." I said quietly, "well, actually I can, I just don't want to believe this is happening."

"It'll go away, you just need to give them nothing to talk about" I didn't say anything else, and after our showers, Ginny and I walked quietly back to the Common Room. I stopped short when I saw Draco leaning against the wall a little way down from the entry portrait.

"Granger," he said once I came into earshot, "I need to speak with you" I looked at him for a few seconds before turning to Ginny.

"Do you mind giving us a second?" I asked with a small smile, she just gave me a pointed look and glared at Draco as she walked past him and towards the fat lady.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest and raising an eyebrow at him. He ignored my question and just pursed his lips.

"I don't think that Wealsey girl likes me"
"Can you blame her?" I muttered, shifting my weight from foot to foot.

"Lets take a walk" he said suddenly, smiling at me in a way so different than his usual sneer.
"I don't think that's a very good idea" I told him, despite the alarming rate of my pulse at the way he was looking at me.
"Why not?" He asked, tilting his head to the side slightly, I looked down the hallway to try and keep my thoughts coherent.

"Because being seen together will only prove Pansy's rumours to be true." I stated, feeling as though I had to explain it to him every time we saw each other.

"Pansy won't be a problem anymore" he said, I didn't know what to say to that so I just stayed silent, hoping he'd change the subject soon.

"So, will you walk with me? We have some things to discuss" I shook my head, keeping my eyes away from him.

"I don't want to fuel the rumours, in fact, we probably shouldn't be talking now" I waited for some smart retort to be said, but when he didn't say anything, I looked up at him and saw that he was staring out the big window to our left, seeming to be deep in thought.

"Malfoy?" I murmured, trying but unsuccessfully to gain his attention. "Draco?" I called again, this time his head turned to face me, a few emotions passed over his face but they were gone before I had the chance to figure out what they were. He smirked at me and raised an eyebrow, his eyes stayed serious.
"Am I really that revolting to you?" he chuckled with a fake humour I couldn't comprehend.
I stood there for a few seconds, I didn't want to say yes, that would be a straight out lie, but I didn't want to say no either, the last thing I wanted was Draco to know how much of an effect he had on me. I sighed and told him that it was because he was a Slytherin.
He raised both of his eyebrows this time in shock, "I didn't think you would be the type to care about status, Granger"
"Well... I'm not, but..." I trailed off, trying to word it correctly.
"But what?" he asked, frowning angrily at me.

"I'm a prefect now" I tried explaining.

"So what? You're too good for me?" he asked incredulously, I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I'm one too, you know"
"No, that came out wrong"
"Just stop, Granger" he growled and took off, walking down the corridor, I sighed loudly and stomped back to the Common Room, Ginny was waiting for me.
"What happened?" she asked as soon as I walked through the the portrait. I just put my hand up to stop her from talking and walked up to my dorm to put my things away. I sat down on my bed and watched the minutes tick by on my clock, 6:52... 6:53... 6:54. The door opened shortly before I was about to go downstairs for breakfast.
"What are you doing?" Lavender Brown demanded not bothering to close the door behind herself.
"I'm sorry? What are you doing in my dorm?" I asked, putting my Gryffindor cloak on, deciding that it was a bit too hot, I took it back off and settled for putting my cardigan on.
"Whatever you're doing with Draco Malfoy needs to stop, you're a prefect Hermione. A Gryffindor prefect" she told me, I glared at her, how dare she.
"Not that it's any of your business, Lavender, but there is nothing going on between me and Draco." I said with as much venom as I could muster.
"That's not what I've heard" she retorted, crossing her arms over her chest.

"There's nothing going on!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms up in the air.

"What's this?" Ginny asked, walking into the room.
"I'm just letting Hermione know that her situation with Draco Malfoy is unacceptable" Lavender stated, Ginny glared at her.
"What ever is happening in Hermiones private life is none of your concern, now leave before I curse you." she threatened, pulling out her wand, smartly, Lavender took that as her cue to leave.
"Thanks" I smiled at Ginny, she just shrugged and ushered me out the door.

At breakfast, it seemed like everyone was forgetting about the rumours that were being spread yesterday. But as I walked into Potions, it seemed like all eyes were on me as I made my way to my new desk next to Draco, which thankfully remained unoccupied at the moment. When Draco arrived, I figured I would do the mature thing and forget anything that had happened, we were both Prefects after all, so I figured we'd better act civil towards each other, when his chair signaled his arrival, I looked over at him and smiled, the smile dropped from my face when he returned my smile with a sneer. My face turned an ugly shade of red and I turned my head to the front of the room, letting my bushy curls hide my face from his view. So things were going to be like this from now on, hey? I sighed.