Chapter 5

KATNISS POV

"I have an idea," says Haymitch. Peeta and I turned our attention to him. He opened his mouth and began to speak.

"Hidden in the forest, there is a tiny cave. Inside, there are supplies that could get us in and out of the capital, alive..." I looked at him.

Where did he find out about that? Another question crossed my mind. Why was there a cave in the forest with supplies? I nodded my head in agreement. That was the only other idea we had. Peeta had already stood up and was making plans with Haymitch. I threw the blankets off of me and swung my legs over the side of the bed. My head was pounding. It felt as if streaks of lightning were shooting through my head. I was in searing pain. Peeta and Haymitch stopped talking and both looked at me. Peeta reached out his hand and asked," Are you ok?"

"I am fine," I replied.

"Are you sure? You don't--" he was interrupted as I swatted his out stretched hands away.

"I am fine!!!" I snapped. I walked out of the room holding my head. I ran down the stairs and out the door. I did not even bother putting shoes on. Just as I slammed the door, I heard Haymitch and Peeta scream,"KATNISS!" Katniss. I never wanted to hear that name ever again. I hated it. I ran down the remains of the of the street of victors village with tears streaming down my face. I ran to the district twelve fence and practically dove through the empty spot of the fence. I sprinted past the tree line. I reached the lake and sat down on the bolder the stood just past the edge of the water. I place my head on my knees.

Suddenly, I heard a twig snap. My head spin around. All could see were trees. Then I saw Haymitch running through the brush towards me. I stood up and headed into a dive. His arms grabbed mine and pulled me back. I kicked and screamed. Tears were streaming down my face. Haymitch turned me around so I could see his face. My head hit the cold hard ground with the rest of my body following, drifting down like a feather. My vision became blurry as I cried more and more. Then I saw Peeta. He mouthed," I am sorry..." I saw tears forming in his eyes as he spoke.

Then all I could feel was pain in my head. It shot through out my head and then through out the rest of my body. I began to scream. Peeta's arm shot strait out and covered my mouth. My mouth closed. I just cried. I let it all out. All of my feelings mixed in one, came out with my pouring my heart out. Then Peeta's hand lifted off my mouth and laid it on my head. I groaned. I was covered in a soft blanket. I turned my head so all I could see was the leaves on the ground. Haymitch ran off into the woods and returned with logs and leaves for a fire. He had already set up a ring of rocks. Peeta began stroking my head. I twitched my head away from him several times before he huffed and began adjusting my blanket. Then my body was lifted off the ground and set over on one side of the fire.

No one talked for a while. I had stopped crying but I felt as if I could break out again any time I wanted. I had wandered away from the fire and set up a blanket on the rock by the water. I stared of into the lake as I watched the waves rise and drop and watched the fish jump in and out of the water. Then I looked right down in front of me at the shallow part of the water. I could see the bottom easily . There was a cray fish that waddled around on the rocks below.

I jumped as I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. I snapped my head back and looked at the water. I looked to the side as I watched Peeta push a metal plate towards me. In the centre, there was a cooked birds wing. I slowly turned my head back to the water.

"Thanks" I said sternly. Peeta was the last person I wanted to see right now. He pretend as though I was helpless. I hated that. I hated just about everything at that moment. I picked up my plate and pictured myself chucking the food into the lake. I was so hungry though. Even though I wanted to throw it into the water, I could not. I picked it up and dug right in. I looked back and my eyes met with Peeta's. He looked at me, seeming pleased with himself and walked back to the fire.

When I was done, I chucked the bones into the water. I stood up and brought my plate back to the the fire and set it on a near by log. They looked at me as I turned around swiftly and walked back to the blanket. I sat with my arms around my knees and began to think. Why did I run out of the house? I guess I was upset about prim and Peeta. Peeta thought I was helpless and weak. I was not helpless. He did not deserve to treat me like I was. Then again, he was trying to help. I guess I had no right to be mad at him. I turned around to stand up but saw Haymitch beginning to sit down beside me. I turned back to the lake and listened to him give me another one of his stupid lectures.

"He was only trying to help you." He said.

"I know"

"Well you should give him the benefit of the doubt."

"Why?"

"Because he deserves it. Look at him. He is in love with you and he just wants to help you and comfort you and give you shoulder to cry on."

I turned to look at him. He sat staring into the fire. His hands constantly went up and covered his face. I wanted to go over there and give him a hug.

"I am sorry." I said.

"It is not me you should be telling that to," he said pointing his finger towards Peeta. His face was covered and he was shaking. I stood up and walked over to him. I reached my hand out and hesitated to put it on his shoulder. I looked back to Haymitch and he made a shooing gesture. I turned back to Peeta and set my hand on his shoulder. He did not flinch or twitch or anything. All he did was look at me . His eyes sparkled from the light of the fire. I sat down beside him. Not taking my eyes off of him. His eyes lowered as I slowly sat down. It was so quite, all I could here were the crickets from the near by bush and the owls in the hollow trees.

"I am sorry..." I said. He looked at me in confusion.

"For what?" He asked

"For being so mean to you. I had no right to be so mean," I said. I like down at the fire and then at my hands. He slipped his hand onto mine and used his finger to lift my head up until our eyes met.

"I forgive you. You were just having a bad day. I understand." He pulled me into soft hug.

"Besides, I can't stay angry at you." He chuckled.

I silently laughed to myself. He was mine again... And I was his.

_________________________

Difficult chapter to write. If you were wondering why Katniss was upset with Peeta, she thought that he was babying her and making her feel like she was weak and helpless. That is why she was upset and ran out of the house. Thank you to those who have read my book. We got 84 views the last time I checked!!!!! Thanks you. Really appreciate it!!!!

MackaygirlTB