Chapter Thirteen - An Unlikely Alliance

Anarchy. Timmer, who stood next to me, ran towards the Cornucopia, and I personally saw as Glimmer knocked her back with a mighty punch. Cato came and beheaded her with a long knife. The knots in my stomach turn to rocks, and I am so stunned that I decide to run away, into the woods, completely discarding any plan of action. Once I am at the edge, having found a good hiding place, I watch as the bloodbath unfolds. I watch Clove throw knives at the District 5 boy, who falls to the ground. I watch Marvel impale Linus, who drops the water bottle he had in his hand. I turn away, unable to watch people die. People of value back home, but only now pieces of the Capitol Games. I don't know what happens. My brain seems too numb to do anything. I sit, resting my back against the tree trunk, and look into the woods. I seem to do that for what seems like an eternity, occasionally hearing the high-pitched screams, then a canon. Until I remember my role in these Games. Keep Katniss alive. What was I doing? I had wasted precious hours, sitting and doing nothing! I pray, again amongst the stars from last night, that the Gamemakers deemed my action too boring as to not broadcast myself all over Panem. I must play for the cameras. I must continue on this act. If it even is an act, which I'm not sure if it is. I admit, I did have a crush on Katniss, but how deeply do I portray my love? What is the right depth to help Katniss?
"Is that loverboy over there?" I hear someone say. I act as though I haven't sat motionless for hours, sure that cameras are on the Careers - the most interesting group of tributes. My fists tighten. I'm going to die now. I couldn't even make it past the day. I couldn't even do anything to help Katniss. But one last promise I make - I will not go down without a fight.
"You know where your 11 went?" Who's my 11? My mouth works faster than my brain, as I reply with,
"Huh?"
"Your damsel in distress. Everdeen, the one who got that 11 in training." Says Clove.
"Please, if you're going to be jealous about a higher training score, try not to spit it everywhere." That's it. I've done it. Clove readies her knife, prepared to throw, before Cato  interrupts.
"Wait. He could help us find her." Clove considers this for a moment, before putting her knife in her pocket.
"If I'm to help you, I need a weapon first." They escort me to the Cornucopia, where I pick out a knife and sword. And that's when I realise it. Is Katniss even dead? If so, why would the Careers waste their time? Wouldn't they know who they killed? I see the bow and arrows taken, but see soon after that Glimmer occupies them. The bodies are gone - taken by the hovercraft. Is she in a wooden box? Is Prim and her mother soon going to bury her, along with their source of life? The stars. They have served me so well. I wish upon them again silently, wishing Katniss' blood is still warm.