Chapter Seven - Training

The Training Centre had numerous things. By the time I got there, the Careers were already there, throwing weapons. I recognize Cato, who was in a ring with a trainer. From what I can tell, the trainer is relieved that he won't have to face Cato in the arena. Clove was throwing knives at a target with extreme accuracy. She notices me watching, and so I look away. Marvel was throwing a spear at a human silhouette, of course hitting the centre of the head. How does anyone have a chance at winning against the Careers? They are so strong and accurate that it would be a miracle to miss one of their attacks. But Katniss has her bow and arrows. No-one else knows about it, but she is a beast with her arrows. I see Jacqueline, the scrawny girl from 5. She is at the edible food station, testing her skills on a test. She has gotten all of them right. Rue, the pocket-sized girl from 11, is climbing one of the ropes. She manages to get all the way to the top in a matter of seconds. I can tell that this year will be a difficult one to come out victorious. Following Rue, I decided to try and climb a rope. I climb the ladder at the beginning of the station, and make my way to the platform by the roof. The ropes are thin, but I am assured by Hanver, who is manning the climbing station, that they can hold all of the tributes put together. And so I mount the net, gripping the edges so hard that I can feel the smallest strands of rope. How high am I? 30, 40 metres? There is a reassuring pillow at the bottom, to break our fall. But after 10 minutes of climbing, or struggling to climb, I have barely made it halfway through the course. Suddenly, the rope flips, and I am dangling upside down, only gripping on with the edges of my fingers. I struggle to flip the net back, so that I can continue climbing, but my hands give way. I plumett to the ground, the air in my lungs removed. I struggle to breathe, to pull in some air, until Hanver comes down and helps me. He leaves me there, on the ground, once I have regained my breath. The Careers are staring at me from the knife throwing station.
"Get up. Throw something. Show your strength." Says Katniss, who is suddenly by my side.
"But Haymitch said not to show our skills-"
"I don't care what Haymitch said. The Careers are looking at you like you're a bag of meat." So I do. I push myself up, limping towards a rack with weights. I pick up the biggest one, the weight dragging me towards the floor. I straighten my back, and hurl the ball into an open space in the centre. I turn back to see the Careers, who are now impressed with my strength. I glare down Cato, who I lock eyes with. I'm the one who breaks it up, turning on my heels towards no station in particular. I spend time at different stations, trying my best to learn everything, so I can protect Katniss. She seems to be doing fine, though, as she spent years memorising the edible plant and roots, and knows the signs of freshwater. If the Cornucopia didn't provide stacks of food and water, the Games would almost be even, and definitely in Katniss' favour. Just as quickly as they came, the three days pass, and the individual training assessment comes. This is a chance for the Gamemakers to provide Capitol betters a guide as to who is most likely to be the victor. The Careers usually get a 7 or higher, loading them with sponsors before they even arrive in the arena. I have no doubt that Katniss will get an 8 or higher, but for me I'm not so sure. The only skill that is presentable is my strength. And what would they have that I could showcase my strength with? I ponder on the thought.
The 24 tributes slowly file into a waiting room, awaiting for our names to be called. We sit on the metal benches. Some of us are tapping our feet nervously to the ground, others chew their fingernails. I sit there and do nothing, too distracted by my thoughts. Marvel is called first, and that's when the tributes start to empty the room, in 15 minute periods. Soon it's just the pairs from Districts 11 and 12. Then just Rue, Katniss and I. Then just Katniss and I.
"Peeta Mellark, District 12" the voice is a plain, emotionless tone. I turn back to Katniss, wish her good luck, and leave the room before she can reply.
It's a huge gymnasium with an even bigger array of stations. It has weapons that I don't even know the name of, and unthinkable things that I would barely call a skill. I see, in between the small knives and axes, is a range of weights. I choose the biggest one, of course, and proceed to pick it up. The Gamemakers are watching, but not too intently. They are probably worn out by watching 22 other kids present themselves. Tired of watching kids make themselves look talented before they are brutally slaughtered, I think. But I don't say it, because it will land me with a punishment in the arena. As if being sent to the arena isn't punishment enough.
I throw the weight above my head, and send it rolling through a set of arrows. The Gamemakers that still watched looked amazed, taking down notes in a notepad. I walk over to the arrows, assured that Katniss will use them, and arrange them back onto their tray. Neatly, in line, and make sure the bow is close as well. The Gamemakers bid me goodbye, and I leave through the side door. Later that day, we got our scores. I got an 8 - I guess they were impressed by my strength. Katniss tells her story, how she shot an arrow at the Gamemakers, aiming right for the Apple in the pig's mouth. "Thank you for your consideration" she said, and left without consent. How could she do that? Attention will be drawn to her, and no-doubt she will be punished in the arena. As if going into the arena wasn't punishment enough, I think again. But the thoughts clear out of my head, when Katniss scores an 11.
"Cheers" Haymitch says "to the girl on fire!" But I know what that means. Certainly, it will get her sponsors, but one of the biggest targets of the Careers. So I must do something grand. Draw attention away from her, but also make her a key interest for sponsors. What can I do?

A/N If you've gotten this far thanks! I haven't finished the next part but will be publishing once it is. Are you liking the story so far? Improvements? Suggestions? All are welcome!