Chapter Nine - The Interview Before Mine

Julius, Mollace, and Trey greeted me first, once I was directed to a room with only mirrors. They "prepped" me, but that took only ten minutes.
"We'll see you later," says Mollace, as he's about to leave. Julius responds to this with a remorseful sigh, knowing that this is most likely that last time they will see me alive. Then Portia comes in, and fits me with a pristine white suit, the collars especially tall, the cuffs decorated with metal ornaments. Nothing is said during this, we just sit and go through the motions. It's an uneventful preparation. Portia leads me to Haymitch, who is accompanied with Cinna and Katniss. She is dressed in a red dress that drapes across one shoulder. Her hair is in the same braid she left District 12 with, only sprinkled with a gust of glitter. Beautiful.
I am at the back of the line. Katniss being so tall, I can only see the other tributes if I bend around her. I recognise Linus ahead, his finger nervously tapping against his suit. I see Thresh, who's in front of Katniss. He stands tall and muscular, crossing his arms. If he were in any animal pack, there is no doubt he would be the leader.
And then I see Rue in front of him, in a sparkly blue dress, a headband made of leaves. And then I truly understand what Katniss did for her sister. Everyone knew it was love that drove her, but no-one knew to what extent she loved her. But looking at Rue, I think immediately;

how cruel to put a 12 year old in the games.

One look at anyone 12 and you now they have no chance. And then I truly understand... they will never be able to grow up. Never live their full life. Of course this is true for 23 tributes, but we have had longer to live. She doesn't have enough memories to spur her on. She will die knowing only the Hunger Games.
The tributes lessen one by one, and we can all watch the interviews on the screens. I am still thinking about how to play the Katniss angle. What can I say? And it has to be now, where all of Panem can root for her, but make the Careers think less about her. But what?
I watch Rue's interview, where she explains how sneaky she can be.
"I am good at hiding. They won't be able to catch me. If they can't catch me, they can't kill me" and then Thresh, who only replies to questions with grunts. And then Katniss, who I think would throw up if she didn't have a seat to catch herself with. She twirls, exchanges questions, but only becomes serious when Caesar ask her the question.
"I think I speak for everyone when I say, how heartbroken we were when you volunteered for that little girl. Is it your sister?" Katniss swallows the lump in her throat, and speakers quietly.
"Yes"
"Did she come to say goodbye?"
"Yes"
"And what did you say?"
"I told her I would win." Katniss replies, clearly wanting to change the topic, and wishing for the sweet release of the buzzer. "I told her I would win for her. For Prim." And then I know what I would do.