Chapter 10 - Confessing to Panem

"So Peeta" Caesar asks me once I mount the stage. "What's the biggest difference about life in the Capitol so far?" I want to say obscene things. How Capitol people have food - even some to spare, where people in District 12 have none. How they have expenses thrown at the littlest thing, whereas in District 12, you would be lucky to be in possession of a single coin.
"Well, the showers are weird."
"The showers are weird..." Caesar repeats, looking at the audience.
"Tell me Caesar, do I smell like roses to you?" Roses, the strongest scent of the lot. I mime him to smell, and even say
"Take a whiff" he does, and makes a questioning look to the audience.
"Tell me, do I? Smell like roses?" He replies, and I lean in to smell what I'm sure is already a greenhouse of roses.
"Mm" I say, as if tasting the smell.
"On a serious note, is there someone at home? A lover?"
"No, not really". I blush.
"Come on, handsome boy like you! Tell me the special someone!" The crowd whoops, so intrigued in our conversation.
"Well there is one girl who I've had a crush on forever. But I don't think she noticed me until the reaping."
"Tell you what" he lowers his voice to almost a whisper, which is pointless because he has a dozen microphones in his personnel. "You go and win these games, and she'll have to go out with you."
"I don't think that's gonna work" I say.
"And why not" Why not? Because she is the girl who knows the lyrics to the Valley song, the girl who grew up too fast and changed her hairstyle from two braids to one. She is the girl who was brave enough to face the Hob without her father when she was just 11 years old. She is the one who rummaged through the bakery dumpster, hungry. She is the one who I'd rather take a beating for then let her starve to death. She is the one who picked up the first dandelion of the spring, who always pushed through. She is the one who loves and cares for her sister so much she is willing to sacrifice herself. Sacrifice herself so that Prim can grow up, eat, get a husband, and watch their kids grow. So that she can live her life. She is the one who deems her life invaluable compared to her sisters'.
"Because she came here with me."