Chapter Five - Portia and The Prep

The capitol is bizarre - a place so much more full of riches then I had imagined. The streets were full with busy people, their faces dotted with bright colours, feathers protruding from every which way. When the train skidded into the station, there was an uncountable amount of people waiting for us. From citizens who wanted our signatures, to news reporters who wanted our input. The Peacekeepers had to form a barricade around us four - Effie, Haymitch, Katniss and I. We walked to the training centre, where the height towered over me. Before I knew it, Haymitch was telling us what to do at training.
"There will be everything you can think about. Knives, spears - all the weapons you can think of. Pick up a new skill, but make sure to pay attention to survival skills. Edible foods, how to find shelter. Peeta, don't show off your strength. Katniss, don't show off your bows and arrows. Learn a new skill, make it worth your time." But before we are even submitted to the Training Centre, we are taken to another building. I am given to a trio of men. I learn that their names are Julius, Mollace, and Trey. Mollace had silver tattoos implanted in his arms. Trey has a dozen pieces of ruby pearl stuck in each of his ears. Julius smiled once at me, and I can see instantly that every one of his teeth was dyed a different colour. They clean me with a harsh hose, splashing water on my body. It was all drained into a central hole, and you could clearly see streaks of coal dust in the stream. Then, I was taken to a clear room. After waiting for what seems like a day, a lady walks in. Her hair is a bright gold, shaped into a triangle. Her eyelashes are longer than my fingers, gathered in clumps.
"You must be Peeta." she says. She closes the door behind me. Her eyes dart up and down my naked body, making notes on a yellow piece of paper she held in her left hand. Once she realises that I don't know who she is, she finally talks.
"I'm Portia, your stylist. I'll be dressing you up, making you look good for the audience." There it is again. The silly Capitol accent.
"Ok - will you be the one dressing me up for the parade?" I've seen those on the television every year. District 12 is always dressed in a stupid miner getup. It never helps them get in favor with sponsors. Portia nods her head slightly, her puffed lips curling into a friendly smile.
"Warb and I always used to do a miners outfit. He said he retired, so now Cinna has taken his place. He will be styling Katniss - your district partner."
"I know who Katniss is" I mumble under my breath. Portia doesn't seem to hear me.
"Anyway, I thought that with a new styling partner we would do new costumes!" She then goes onto describing this year's getup. It will be a jet black bodysuit, engulfed in flames upon the parade. In hind-sight, Katniss and I will be the coals, our ashes turned to an inferno. Portia dresses me, the costume weighing less than a feather. As she's about to light the ends of the costume, a stumble back.
"Are you sure this is safe?" It seems like a stupid question, considering she is making me look fancy so that my death will be more entertaining.
"Absolutely. Cinna did numerous test runs. This has been his project since he signed up to be a stylist. It'll work." And then I am an ember. A spark lights up from the tips, and soon I am a full scale flame. Oh, how the sponsors will love this.
The parade is spectacular. I have seen it on the television, but I never even began to imagine the scale of it. The fancy warehouse holds our chariots, the horses matching our outfits. Even the horses for District 4 are dyed blue, with green seaweed hanging from their mane. The horse for District 12 is jet black, but the mane is covered in the same material as our costumes. My guess is that they will light the horses on fire, too. Katniss is being assured by Cinna, a young looking man with only gold eyeliner and matching lipstick. By far the most normal person I've seen in the Capitol so far. Portia is adjusting my collar, dabbing black powder on my eyelids. She won't stop, so eventually I have to ward her off. She is quickly replaced by Trey, who is straightening the sleeves, and ruffling my hair. Once he is finished, Cinna walks over to the chariot, along with Portia and Katniss. They help us climb onto the cart, and then tell us instructions.
"Remember, heads high. Smiles. They're going to love you!" Cinna Says, his Capitol accent barely audible.
"And the fire?" Katniss says, still weary of its safety.
"Is not real. You won't feel it." Cinna assures, giving Katniss a hug for good luck. He gives me a tentative pat on the shoulder, and sets us off.