Feeling Like You Belong

Jack hated museums. They would end up going to Cardiff museum about twice a year because they had discovered that one of their ancient artefacts was actually of alien origin. Ianto always used to find it fun and always enjoyed looking around. Jack just couldn't see the appeal of staring at all of the boards and reading about the past when they could be doing much more interesting things like going out on weevil hunts. However today was going to be a much more interesting trip to the museum than either Jack or Ianto could imagine.

Mica always hated school trips. Her class never went anywhere interesting, David's class would go to theme parks or the zoo whereas Mica's class would always end up at some boring place like a museum but it was a day out of school so it could have been much worse. As Mica rounded the corner with her class. She suddenly saw somebody standing talking to one of the museum staff, she almost instantly recognised it as her uncle. This school trip wasn't going to be as boring as she thought. She barely ever gets to see him and now she might be able to convince him to come for tea one night.

'Uncle Ianto?' she says running away from her class. Knowing she will get into trouble for wandering off but not caring because her uncle is more important.

Ianto turns around with a look of surprise on his face. 'Mica. What are you doing here?'

'I'm on my school trip.' Mica says happily standing in front of Ianto looking up.

Ianto is about to bend down to her height when Jack appears from nowhere and places a kiss on his cheek and wraps his arm around Ianto's waist. 'Ianto what are you doing talking to children?' Jack says as Ianto struggles to get out of Jack's hold.

Mica is now very confused; she has never seen his strange man before. 'Uncle Ianto why is that funny man kissing you?'

'That is a very good question Mica, but I will have to answer it later because I need to get going and you don't want to get lost from your school trip do you.'

Mica says staring at her feet. 'No uncle Ianto. I'm sorry.'

'You don't need to be sorry.' Ianto says about to bend down to Mica height again when he is interrupted by a loud voice.

'Mica Davis what do you think you are doing? You were told not to wander off from the group. And now you are disturbing these gentlemen from their day out.' The woman who Ianto presumed to be Mica's teacher was charging towards them.

'It's fine really. I'm her Uncle.' Ianto finally manages to crouch down to Mica's eye level. 'Why don't you go back to your school trip and I'll ask mummy if I can go around for dinner later. Is that okay?'

'Yes' Mica says happily. 'As long as you bring your funny friend.'

'We will have to see what mummy says. See you later Mica. Love you.'

'Bye Uncle Ianto's funny friend. Bye Uncle Ianto. Love you too.'

'Bye Mica.' Jack and Ianto say in unison.

'I'm guessing your sister knows nothing about us.'

'I just haven't got around to telling her.' What Ianto really wanted to say is that he wasn't totally sure there was an 'us' to tell his sister about.

'You ready to go back to the Hub.' Jack says as he leads Ianto towards the exit of the museum.

Back at the Hub, Ianto's phone rings and he knows who it is but that doesn't mean he wants to answer it. It's nearly four o'clock so that means Mica will have gone home and will have told Rhiannon about Jack. Ianto is sure that Rhiannon will be fine about Jack being a man but Ianto is also sure that she will not be pleased to find that he has kept it, whatever it is, secret for almost eight months.