He's Just a Phase, Right? [The Fallout]

"It has been forever! Harry please take her!"

"You're right."

You felt yourself being lifted up bridal style and being carried. Still drowsy, you didn't do anything for another minute. Then you opened your eyes. The light was brighter than you though, and you squinted up to see Harry carrying you.

"What?" you asked to nobody in particular.

"It's okay. I'm taking you to the hospital wing Kris. Just relax." Harry said, not looking down.

"No... No I'm fine." you whispered.

"No you aren't." he whispered.

"Yes I am. Harry put me down." you said a little stronger. Harry stopped but didn't put you down.

"Are you sure?" he asked, concern in his eyes.

"Harry I'm just tired and I need to rest. It's nothing." you said hurriedly. Harry didn't do anything. He seemed to be thinking it over. He slowly set your feet on the floor and held you upright. You swayed for just a second before standing still.

"See? I'm fine." you said, and you began walking away.

"What's going on? You're never around anymore." he asked quietly.

"I'm fine." you repeated.

"When you fell, I saw something. Scratches and bruises on your legs." he walked in front of you and took your arm where Matt had held onto you. You winced slightly, but Harry caught it. He slid your sleeve up slowly to reveal and hand-shaped bruise around your forearm.

"Kris who did this?!"

"It’s nothing! I mean nobody. Nobody did this. I have to go!" you said, pulling your sleeve back down. Harry had no idea about Matt, Draco, the things you were doing or the things you have done in the past. There was no way to tell him about any of this without telling him everything. You couldn’t deal with this. You needed to get away from him.

“Kris, please?!”

“Leave it, Harry.”

“You want me to leave it?! Really?” he yelled angrily. “I’m trying to help you!”

“That is what everyone is trying to do! Everyone needs to just leave me the fuck alone!” you said, bursting into tears. He grabbed your arm and you turned quickly, and before you knew it you did something you never thought you would do. Your palm collided with Harry’s cheek. It was one second that you could never take back. You slapped him hard across the face.

“Oh… my… Harry. I-I…” He held up his hand, letting you go. Then you got what you wanted. He left you alone. You  felt like you were starting to have a panic attack. You ran. You didn’t know where you were running exactly. It wasn’t long before you found yourself in the dungeons.

You felt somebody grab your arm. You screamed and pulled it away with all your might. You flung yourself around and your back hit the wall. Draco stood there, shocked at your reaction. You couldn't help but start to cry as flashes of Matt went through your mind. You slid down against the wall and sat crying on the floor, your head in your hands. Then you felt Draco sit next to you and wrap one arm around you.

"I t-r-r-r-ied to s-t-t-op him! He was t-t-too strong! I didn't m-m-ean to! Please don't be m-m-ad at me... I'm s-s-sorry!" you cried into his chest as he pulled you into a hug.

"Slow down. It's okay! Shhhh..." he soothed. He stroked your hair as you quieted down. You glanced around the corridor, glad that nobody was coming to lunch yet.

"I didn't... I wouldn't have if... He... He..." you stuttered, trying to regain your composure. He held you away so he could look at your face. His fingers brushed your lip where it was cut.

"What happened?" he asked calmly. You just shook your head, feeling tears start to well up, you looked down into your lap. Draco pushed your head back up with his hand.

"Tell me what happened." he said even softer than before. You couldn't tell it. If you told it you would start to cry again. You could only manage one word.

"M-M-Matt." you stuttered, more tears falling. He didn't seem to get it at first, but you saw his eyes look down at your skirt, which was up far enough for him to see the scratches and bruises. You pulled up your sleeve to show the hand-shaped bruise that Harry had seen. His eyes turned cold and angry. He looked scary really. You had never seen anyone look as angry as you saw him. You shrunk away a little, and he stood and stormed down the hall.

"Draco stop!" you yelled. He ignored you. You got up and ran in front of him. He stopped, fuming.

"Move Kris." he commanded.

"Draco don't! It's done! You can't do anything about it." you said sadly. He was about to say something when you heard a storm of voices. Classes had just ended. You pulled him into a random door, which was a closet, and shut the door behind you.

"I'm going to kill him!" he growled, trying to push past you.

"And how will you explain it? That you just felt like it? The whole school will find out about us! And you! And the drugs! EVERYTHING!" you said quickly.

"Well what am I supposed to do?! Just let him get away with it?!" he yelled.

"Maybe." you whispered.

"Kris!" he yelled. You took his hand and held it to your heart.

"Please do this for me." you said. His eyes softened a little, but he still looked angry.

"But Kris..." he said.

"I know it's not right. It's not fair. But it's the only thing. If you lay a hand on him he'll tell everyone about us." you half cried. He pulled you close to him and kissed you softly.

"I’m so sorry." he whispered, wrapping his arms around him. You stood there for a long time holding each other.

*    *    *    *

Because Matt wasn't in your year, you didn't have to speak to him, or even look at him. Draco, who was in the same house as Matt, was a different story. You were worried what you would find out happened tomorrow morning, but was relieved to see that Matt was at breakfast, sporting a fat lip and a black eye. Apparently some of Draco’s cronies and roughed him up a bit. You smiled at Draco appreciatively from across the Great Hall. He returned it.

“Good morning.” You looked up to see Hermione was the first to come down. She sat with you hesitantly.

“Hi.” you said quietly. She grabbed a banana and took a bite.

“How are you?”

“Good.” you said quickly. More awkward silence. “So… where are Ron and Harry?”

“They were running late.”

“Oh, I see.” You remembered something Hermione had said the other night. “Hermione?”

“Yes?”

“That thing you said last night, about Malfoy…?” She shot you an awkward glance. You sighed. “How did you find out?”

“I’m not a moron. Just because you haven’t seen us much lately doesn’t mean we haven’t seen you.”

“I see.” Finally, she snapped, slamming her fist on the table. You jumped in shock at her outburst.

“How could you do this to Harry?!” she whispered angrily. “Harry, of all people! He loves you, Kris. How can you just stand by and hurt him this way?”

As if you needed another reason to feel lousy. Harry and Ron entered the Great Hall. Upon seeing you sitting with Hermione, they sat at the far end of the table together. Harry’s eyes connected with yours for only a moment. He looked sad. Hermione stood up, taking her bag.

“We just wanted to help you, Kris.” With that, she left you alone. You were starting to get used to that. Being alone.