He's Just a Phase, Right? [Withdrawals]

You were looking at the books that were on the shelves in the Room of Requirement. As you skimmed the titles you began to sing quietly, something you hadn't done in a long time. Nothing really interested you but something caught your eye as you turned to leave. There, on the little nightstand in the corner of the room, was Candescence by James Kole. You picked up the book and ran your hands over the battered cover. It was your personal copy.

"Why did you stop singing?" you dropped the book in surprise to see that Draco was awake. He was listening to you the whole time.

"Oh... er..." was all you could say. He got up and walked over to you, and saw the book on the floor. Picking it up and dusting off the cover, he handed it back to you.

"Sorry I took it," he said.

"How did you get it? You gave it back to me..." you said.

"I asked for it while I was in here and it appeared," he said quietly.

"Why? You said you didn't like it," you asked.

"It was the only thing I had left of you." your heart fluttered at his words. You glanced at his watch, which said it was 6 A.M. You thought of a bathroom and moments later a door appeared on the wall.

"I'm gonna take a shower really quick, ok?" you said. He shrugged and walked back over to the couch. When you finished your shower you stopped in front of the mirror and looked at yourself in the reflection. You thought of your favorite pair of jeans and a t-shirt. They appeared on the counter. When you put them on, they felt a little looser than usual. You walked outside while brushing your hair to talk to Draco, but you couldn't see him. You set down the brush and walked toward the couch. When the table came into view, you saw a syringe on the table. Draco sat on the floor, staring at it. It was ready, but Draco wasn't using it. Just staring at it. You walked closer, and sat quietly next to Draco. He didn't move.

"You don't need it," you said. He nodded.

"I want it," he finished. You could understand, thinking of the chapstick tube in your pocket that you popped pills from unconsciously now throughout the day. You sat with him, and you noticed that every couple of seconds he scratched his neck. Finally, he got up. He picked it up and took it to the bathroom sink, squirting its contents down the drain. It was a powerful statement, and not one that any drug addict would make if he weren’t determined to quit. You kissed him on the cheek and then wrapped your arms around him. You hugged him for a minute before you left him to take a shower. A little while later Draco appeared at the doorway in just his boxers.

"Are you going to classes today?" he asked.

"Are you?" he shook his head. "Then no, I'm not."

"Yes you are, you are going to get behind if you don't," he said. You just shrugged and pat the couch for Draco to sit.

"I'd rather be with you."

*    *    *    *

You hadn't gone to classes in three days. You hadn't even left the Room of Requirement. To everyone at Hogwarts, you and Draco had completely disappeared. You knew that Dumbledore would know what was happening. He always seemed to know everything.

"It’ll be okay!” you yelled over the sound of Draco's vomiting. You knelt next to him while he was bent over a plastic trash can. You rubbed his back as he heaved. It was gross the first time, but now you had gotten pretty good at not vomiting yourself when you saw it. You ran over to the sink and got a cup of water. You poured it slowly into his mouth but he knocked it away before it was empty.

"Draco you will get dehydrated!" you said angrily, taking a towel and wiping the sweat from his face. He rolled over in the bed that was now in the back of the room. He couldn't stop shaking, and sometimes he was so out of control you weren't sure how much longer you could take this. He kept scratching at non-existent itches all over his body. You found throughout the week that it helped for you to sing to him. You were just about to start again when he rolled over and barfed on the sheets. You ran to them and pulled them off, holding it far away in disgust. You waved your wand at them with a cleaning spell and dropped them on the bed. Then you had to pause, holding the bed frame to steady yourself. At times you got really light headed, dizzy, and weak. Focusing on Draco 24/7 didn't give you much time to focus on your own needs. Eating and sleeping. You just stood there for a moment, holding your head in your hands.