Chapter 3

My eyes fluttered open; I like to think I wake up like they do in the movies, with my makeup still intact and my hair perfect, but I know I don't. My stomach grumbled and I sat up. Getting out of bed I headed for the bathroom. Thankfully I had my own bathroom that was connected to my room. I glanced into my mirror as I passed it, I was right when I said I didn't wake up like they do in the movies. My hair was fuzzy and my mascara was smudged. Sighing, I washed my face before brushing my teeth and hair. I put it up into a messy bun and headed downstairs.

I dropped Libby at her house at about eleven last night. My phone lit up and I checked the message that had come through, just another phone company reminder. I don't care that I've used 54% of my included data. Pouring myself some cereal I walked over to the couch and sat down to watch the morning Saturday cartoons. I really did live a fulfilling life. Sometimes I wondered what it would be like to be popular and go to parties all the time and have loads of friends. But it seems like a lot of effort, effort that I don't have and probably never will, and plus I had my best friend and I was happy with my life.

I heard keys in the front door and stopped eating my cereal. What the hell? I placed my bowl on the coffee table and went to stand in front of the door. I feel like I should have a weapon or something, if this guy has a gun I'm dead meat. I started to panic but then the door opened to reveal my parents walking through.

"I thought you were still asleep?" I asked them and my mum laughed.

"It's half eleven hun," she replied. "And good morning to you too." I shook off her sarcasm and looked at her puzzled.

"Where were you?"

"We went grocery shopping and to the hardware store so I could get those hooks," my dad added shaking around the hooks and I nodded pretending I understood why he needed hooks. He walked off up the stairs probably to go hang up his hooks.

"Can you help me with the bags?" Mum asked. I nodded and followed her outside. We headed towards the car and she opened the boot with her keys. I grabbed three bags in each hand and began walking to the front door, after placing everything in the kitchen I headed back out to get more. Once I had picked up a few more bags I turned and saw Ryder and his family walking outside of their door.

"Hello," I heard. I looked over and saw my mum waving back at Ryder's mum. They walked over to the dividing fence and I glanced at Ryder who was staring me down.

"I'm Suzan," she introduced herself to my mum holding out her hand. My mum took it in hers replying with "Patricia."

"So you just moved in?" My mum asked stating the obvious.

"Yes, from about a half hour away."

"That's nice," Suzan nodded in agreement. I looked over at Ryder's little brother and he stuck his tongue out at me, I rolled my eyes in return.

"I think unpacking everything is the biggest struggle, but we're getting there."

"Yeah, well if you need any help my husband and I are here and I'm sure my daughter, Jade, wouldn't mind."

"Well thank you," she replied in return with a smile before looking at me. "You have such a pretty name, Jade."

"Thanks." I replied shyly.

"Well this is Andy," she said pulling Andy towards her. "And Ryder." He smiled at my mum in a nice greeting way. It's probably the nicest expression I'd ever seen on his face. "Do you know Jade?" She asked Ryder turning towards him.

"Vaguely." He replied looking me up and down. Well that was uncomfortable.

"Well, it was nice meeting you all but I better get inside." I waved at Suzan and glanced at Ryder who was again staring at me, before quickly heading inside. Ugh, why is he so intimidating? I walked into the kitchen and put the bags I was holding down, before unpacking them. When I had finished I bought my bowl back from the coffee table and rinsed it in the sink.