| 11 |

▬▬ eleven; the beginning of the truth⋆

⋆.。.:* ☆:**:. 

THE OLD CLOCK IN THE CORNER ECHOED THROUGH THE HEADMASTER'S OFFICE. The birds' singing slipt through the slightly opened window and lingered past them with the early morning breeze. In fact, it was so early that the sun was only a weak light beyond the horizon, hinting behind the treetops. 

A sweaty and panting girl sat almost frozen in the leather seat that was temporarily placed opposite the wide brown desk. Her wide eyes were painful red and her hair was thrown into a messy bun. She tried to hide her trembling hands by rubbing them against her sweatpants or rubbing her palms against each other, but she couldn't hide how on edge she truly was.

"I don't know what's happening," she said quietly, just above a whisper—as if she was afraid that anyone would hear.

"Neither do I," said Dumbledore and sighed. He leaned forward and rested his arms on the desk, "Lauren, I suppose you remember the second task last year?"

"Yes, of course. The lake."

"Since you were the person Cedric cared about most, it was supposed to be you in the water that he'd be saving." She looked up from the floor to meet his steady gaze, he never failed to surprise her.

"Why'd you chose Cho instead of me?" She asked and wiped her tear-stained cheeks with her forearm.

"After the book incident, McGonagall told me about, I was starting to get suspicious about your condition. And after the first task, you fainted and I was told that your eye color took a surprising turn—"

"Okay, I get it," she said, exhaling loudly. Her gray t-shirt was wet from her own sweating and she couldn't stop thinking about how badly she wanted out of it. "You thought it'd be too much for my fragile little soul."

"I was afraid it'd trigger something that you've been trying to hide."

And there it was again, Albus Dumbledore's dramatic thoughts that always turned the story around. Lauren had a habit of translating his statements to short sentences and throw away the rest of their conversations, but she couldn't anymore. This unanswered question she had piled up lately took in everything he said like a vacuum cleaner.

"You think I'm unstable?" When he only raised his eyebrows at her she regretted asking, knowing well that she probably looked like a homeless woman that just ran a marathon. "Nevermind. Dumbledore. . . where do I go from here?"

He noticed the sudden sadness in her voice and he could hint new tears behind her eyelids. "First you need to figure out where you are now, do you know that, Lauren? Where are you?"

She shrugged her sore shoulders, "Hogwarts, I guess." He shook his head, giving her a comforting smile.

"Mentally."