| 4 |

▬▬ four; the old woman⋆

⋆.。.:* ☆:**:.

HE HAD ALWAYS SECRETLY LOVED COMING BACK HERE. While he whined with his friends about how boring school was, he actually really enjoyed it. This castle felt more home than anywhere else so after spending summer by himself, coming back to Hogwarts was always a relief. Now, however, it felt wrong. He was almost ashamed that he had sat down on the train, that he had walked through the huge main doors, that he had settled in his chamber. It felt wrong because she wasn't there. The entire dinner felt like a waste of time because he knew that he wouldn't be sneaking away afterward to meet her in the basement. The new professor, the pink and uptight lady Umbridge was just another small white dot on the sky because he wouldn't be able to laugh about her with Lauren tonight.

Draco found himself constantly looking over at the Gryffindor table but he just met Hermione's stern eyes and the back of Harry Potter's head. He deserved their disrespect against him, but he wished he could just walk over there and talk to them. He wished he could find the guts to apologize and then find comfort with them, he wanted to be close to them because they meant a lot to Lauren. 

Instead, he remained among his friends that loved to spit insults at everyone, that loved to make fun of remarkable people and the weak ones. This time he wasn't participating in it. He became invisible to them, trying to stay away from everyone so he could think about one person only so that he could imagine seeing her brown locks and her bright smile across the room.

Why hadn't she responded to his letters?

While he drowned himself in self-doubt and questions about how she was doing and where she was, Lauren Diggory herself stared into the mirror in her bathroom. She looked at her own reflections differently than before, desperately trying to understand the eyes she was staring into. The sad girl before her was unfamiliar to Lauren, she didn't know who she was anymore.

Hearing the sound of someone else being near her had always just been a trick. A trick that her lonely heart had played on her and her fragile conscious had fallen for it like a fool. So now, when another sound of footsteps downstairs broke the constant silence, she just sobbed louder. The sound of someone being there made her feel even more tired, why wouldn't she let herself rest?

But she soon came to the realization that those light steps didn't belong to the ghost that wandered in this house, no, these belonged to someone else. Turning back to the eyes in the mirror she wiped her wet cheeks and inhaled quietly. Her first instinct was to run and hide or jump out the window, escape whoever had intruded her home. But she didn't. Her curiosity left the bathroom and went for the stairs.

While her soundless steps walked to the stairs it became silent downstairs. After a few minutes, she heard how things were being moved around. . . gently. It sounded like someone placed a book on the table or picked up a glass from the floor or poured water in the sink. Someone was cleaning.