| 7 |

▬▬ seven; the thestrals⋆

⋆.。.:* ☆:**:.

HARRY WALKED DOWN THE STONE STAIRS TO HAGRID'S CABINET ON HIS OWN. The scars on his left hand had already started to fade away but it still burned sometimes when something touched it. He thought about the letter he had sent Sirius, and he felt bad for the way he had just walked away from Hermione and Ron when they had been worried about what Umbridge had done to him.

Walking to the doorstep he saw the black creature fly above the forest before diving down, it made him curious. Instead of knocking he followed where the creature had disappeared, and after a few minutes of walking he saw a blonde girl gently stroking the horse-like thing.

"Hello, Harry Potter," she said as she heard his presence. He walked up to her and admired the black creature with her before he looked down and saw her bare feet.

"Your feet. Aren't they cold?"

"Bit", she shrugged. "Unfortunately, all my shoes have mysteriously disappeared. I suspect Nargles are behind it."

Harry nodded and then changed the subject, "What are they?"

"They're called Thestrals. They're quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they're a bit. . ."

"Different," he finished for her. "But why can't the others see them?"

While they began walking closer to a female Thestral and her foal Luna explained, "They can only be seen by people who've seen death."

"So you've known someone who's died, then?"

"My mum," she said and Harry felt slightly ashamed that he had asked. "She was quite an extraordinary witch, but she did like to experiment. . . and one day, one of her spells went badly wrong. I was 9."

"I'm sorry."

"Yes, it was rather horrible." The girl didn't seem too sad about it, she didn't even grimace, she just shrugged it and held a very steady tone. "I do feel very sad about it sometimes, but I've got Dad. We both believe you, by the way. That He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and you fought him. . . and the Ministry and The prophet is conspiring against you."

She smiled as the foal began eating the apple she had rolled to it.

"Thanks. It seems you're about the only ones that do."

She shook her head, "I don't think that's true. But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel."

"What do you mean?" Harry frowned, turning to look at her.

"Well, if I wereYou-Know-Who," she began tilting her head slightly making her long blonde hair drop from her shoulder. "I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else because if it's just you alone. . . you're not as much of a threat."