Alvin the Trustworthy? (DoB/RTTE)

Well met, my fellow Dragon Riders! Today, we'll be talking about Alvin. I actually have a head-canon that just struck me not too long ago.

What do you guys think about Alvin "the Treacherous" eventually earning himself the title of Alvin "the Trustworthy" after Defenders of Berk and eventually into RTTE?

Why do I believe this? Well, think about it: Alvin has proven himself at the end of DoB that he could be trusted and even saved Stoick's life, eventually resulting in the restoration of their decades-broken friendship. I mean, Alvin didn't have to do any of that! He could've just killed Hiccup and then let Stoick die, eventually being able to retake the Outcasts and battle Dagur. Then, with the Hooligans leaderless, Alvin could've come to Berk and either forced them to name him leader or just outright killed them or until he kicked them from the island.

But Alvin didn't do that. He had proven himself trustworthy. Not only that, but Alvin probably continued that throughout the "black period" between DoB and the beginning of RTTE in those "three years of peace" Berk had. He possibly stopped terrorizing his own men and became a fairer ruler, which earned him the respect and great loyalty we see in Season 5, Episode 6 "The Return of Thor Bonecrusher". He also stopped fighting the Berkians and became their allies (which, both historically, and also in the HTTYD books, would've never happened and should've never happened).

Alvin could've also possibly stopped fighting other Tribes, but that is unlikely. It could be that Alvin "the Trustworthy" could've only been called that by the Berkians and possibly by his own Tribe, but nowhere else. I mean, have you looked at their island?!

Nothing can grow on that heap of rock! It's some sort of volcanic island with tons of shale and lava/magma debris and rock

Nothing can grow on that heap of rock! It's some sort of volcanic island with tons of shale and lava/magma debris and rock. I'm sure they had to raid constantly in-between dragon attacks to get the resources that they need, on top of supplies of water/mead/ale and food to sustain themselves. I highly doubt that there's anywhere on the island — or underneath it — that could be used as a place to grow things. However, geology and topography have never been my strengths (along with chemistry). So please feel free to correct me on this point.

So essentially, I'm still of the belief that Alvin's still raiding other places, just not Berk. I wouldn't be surprised if he's taking particular enjoyment in raiding the Island of Berserk as a cathartic method for revenge on Dagur. But I can't prove that. 

But in RTTE, we continue to see Alvin showing himself as "the Trustworthy. He was proving to be a big help in "Return of Thor Bonecrusher" in offering to get information out of the Hunter prisoners. But the most notable episode was in Season 6, Episode 11: "Guardians of Vanaheim", when Hiccup meets up with Alvin and the fleet of Outcasts and Alvin explains that he heard that Stoick "wasn't feeling at his best," and so wanted to come and help protect Berk until he recovered and until Hiccup came back. I mean, if that's not "trustworthy," I don't know what is. Alvin could've just been lying and took Berk for himself while Hiccup was away. But he didn't. He protected Berk until Stoick got better by the last episode of the series "King of Dragons, Part 2", and sailed back to his own island.

Of course, we'll never get to see them in the films, but I'd take a bet that Alvin and his Outcasts, as well as the Berserkers and other Tribes, were fighting off Drago's army behind the scenes. I'm sure they didn't take too kindly to a bunch of foreign sailing into their waters as if they owned the Archipelago. 

Conclusion:

So in conclusion, I believe that after DoB, Alvin earned himself the title of "the Trustworthy", and continued to earn it through the "black period" in-between, and well into RTTE. I mean, it seems to have been implied throughout the RTTE series, at least through the characters' actions, but was never said out loud. But the fact that Alvin has always been called "Alvin" in RTTE, and his title "the Treacherous" has been continuously left out by his allies and even by his own men screams volumes. 

So what do you think? Do you think that after DoB, Alvin earned the title "the Trustworthy" and discarded his previous title of "the Treacherous", possibly forever? Let me know in the comments below. ^_^

Hope to see you soon with another article. Thank you for taking the time to come by and reading this. I hope you enjoyed it. ^_^

Long Live the Night!

— Noctus Fury

<><><><><><><><><><>

Word Count: 820 words

<><><><><><><><><><>

Date Published: 06/15/20