Where's the Snaptrapper? (DreamWorks Dragons)

Oh where, oh where has my Snaptrapper gone? Oh where, oh where can it be? With its heads of four and its danger factor so huge, oh where, oh where can it be?

That's right, folks. Today's topic will be about the SNAPTRAPPER — the most exotic dragon in the franchise, in my opinion. More elusive than a Flightmare, more mysterious than a Night Fury, deadlier than a Changewing, and possibly as rare as a Buffalord and Night Fury. Not only this, but the Snaptrapper is quite possibly the only dragon in the Book of Dragons that has never shown its head — or heads, as it were — once in either the films or the TV series. While the others that were in the Book of Dragons not only had appearances, but new dragons also showed up as well.

Why is that?

Well, personally, I think it's just due to negligence and laziness on DreamWorks' part. I mean, one would think that if you're going to show a dragon species in the Book of Dragons, that they'll appear somewhere, whether it's the films or the TV show. Now I know that the Snaptrapper is in some graphic novels and video games, but I don't consider them canon to begin with. They have waaaaaaay too many contradictions and inaccuracies and taken-liberties in them to even acknowledge their existence, in my opinion. (Please don't take offense. I know they're probably great for casual use, but for hardcore fans like me, I cringe whenever I see something that contradicts the films and TV show. To be fair, though, the Book of Dragons has its own inaccuracies and contradictions about the dragon species as well.)

That being said, however, what if there's a reason — a logical reason — behind the absence of the Snaptrapper?

For instance, it could be endangered — like the Buffalord, Night Fury, and other species — due to excess hunting, lack of food, change of climate, or not enough hatchlings make it to adulthood.

Maybe it's elusive — like the Flightmare, the Deathsong, the Night and Light Furies, the Skrill, etc — wary or shy with humans, and try to live in remote places where humans rarely tread.

Or perhaps, like the Night Fury, it's not in the Archipelago, but lives in warmer climates, and thus Vikings can't run into Snaptrappers.

Or — and forgive me for being morbid — maybe they're in the Archipelago, but any Vikings who know of their lairs and hunting grounds have been killed and eaten, preventing them from passing their knowledge to other Vikings. (If I've just given you ammo for your nightmares tonight, I sincerely apologize.)

Regardless of why Snaptrappers don't appear in the franchise, or where they can be, or how to find them, the main issue of the matter is that the Snaptrappers simply aren't there. Which is really upsetting and I can't help but be disappointed. I really love Snaptrappers for various reasons. I, for one, would've LOVED to see them appear — even if it was in just one episode in Race to the Edge. I would've enjoyed discovering if the little info we had about them was all true and valid, and if they were trainable or not, etc, etc. However, it wasn't meant to be; I'll just have to create my own headcanons for the Snaptrapper, then. What's even sadder is that there's not even any FANFICTION about them. :'(

What about you? Why do you think we haven't seen the Snaptrapper yet? Do you like the Snaptrapper? Were you hoping to come across it eventually? Or did it not cross your mind? What are your thoughts?

Hope to see you guys in the next article! ^_^

Long Live the Night!

 Noctus Fury

<><><><><><><><><>

Word Count: 620 words

<><><><><><><><><>

Date Published: 07/23/23