Chapter 9

"Let's get started!" I say, dropping my soon-to-be superhero costume onto the table: a lightweight black jacket, some black fabric, black shoes, and a pair of black leggings. I did a little shopping before coming over to Caitlyn's house because I didn't really have any of these things at home before. Caitlyn has already set up a sewing machine on the table, along with a pair of scissors, extra thread, and a few other supplies. "Your parents are going to be gone for awhile right?"

"Yep," she answers. "Neither of them gets off work until after 4."

"Good," I say. "That gives us about three hours."

Caitlyn's phone buzzes on the table and she quickly reaches for it. I notice a grin appear on her face as she reads the message and then replies to it.

"Who are you talking to?" I ask her, curious.

"No one," she responds simply, putting the phone in her pocket and walking over to the table. "So, what exactly do you have in mind for this?"

"Well, I'm going to be wearing the hood up to hide my hair, so I figured we could create a mask and attach it to the hood to protect my identity."

"Okay.  I'm no professional, but I'll see what I can do. Put on the jacket," she instructs.

I do as she says and I pull the hood up over my head, completely covering my hair. Caitlyn takes a couple measurements and then we get started on designing. I decide that a simple strip of fabric over my eyes would probably work just fine.

"It needs to cover enough that no one can recognize my face, though," I tell Caitlyn.

She picks up a piece of white chalk and sketches a design on the black fabric. "What about this?" she asks. "It could cover the top half of your face and end at your nose." She cuts out the design and I try it out.

"It feels a bit crooked," I comment.

Caitlyn nods her head, "It looks crooked. Let's try making another one."

We attempt it once more and after ten minutes or so, we have a decent looking mask. Caitlyn sews it onto the hood and I put the jacket on, pulling the hood up and adjusting the mask.

"How does it look?" I ask.

"Pretty good," Caitlyn answers.

"The jacket is kind of warm, though, especially since it's summer," I comment.

"What if we cut the sleeves off?" Caitlyn suggests.

"That would help," I agree, taking the jacket off to make the final alteration. Caitlyn picks up the scissors and chops the sleeves off, sewing the spots so they look neater.

"There," she says, finished with her work.

"Thanks so much, Caitlyn," I say, hugging her. "I love it!"

*******************************

"I'm going over to Kathryn's house," I shout to my parents. I pick up my backpack, unzipping it to check inside. My 'superhero suit' is still safely tucked inside as it has been for the past three days. I've been taking it with me everywhere just in case something would come up and I'd have a need for it. I zip the bag shut and sling it over my shoulders.

Kathryn lives a few miles away, so I'm driving my car. I could easily run and be there much sooner, but driving would prevent any suspicions.

I still haven't seen Kathryn since I rescued her from the fire about a week ago. I know I have to be careful if she brings it up; I don't want her to find out it was me.

I go outside and get into my white car, turning the key and starting the engine. I throw my bag onto the passenger's seat and then back out of the driveway.