Chapter 1

I wake up. At first, I'm not sure where I am. But soon, after hearing all the beeps from machines, noticing an IV in my wrist, and realizing I'm not in my normal bed, I figure out that I am in a hospital room. I'm not sure why I'm here. I can't remember getting hurt, and I see no sign of a broken bone or anything. I do however notice that my throat is extremely dry.

I try to push myself up into a sitting position but find the action too difficult to do. I sigh and continue laying in the bed, wondering why I am here.

After maybe 10 minutes have passed, the door opens, revealing two doctors and my parents. The four of them step into the room and remain by the door as one of the doctors talks to my mom and dad. He is a tall, black haired man. His back is to me so I can't make out any facial features. The other doctor, holding a clipboard, looks really young, and has short red hair.

"Mom. Dad," I manage to croak out, even though my throat is dry. The four of them all turn their heads towards me in unison, surprised.

"Kyleigh!" my mom exclaims as she runs towards me. Her short brown hair looks shorter to me. When did she cut it? She gives me a gentle hug as my dad makes his way to me. The doctors follow closely behind.

"Are you okay? How do you feel?" my mom asks me.

"Thirsty," I answer. The red haired doctor sets his clipboard on the small table and pours water from a pitcher into a glass for me. I glance at the clipboard and see my name and age printed at the top of the paper: Kyleigh Lynn Everson, 16.

Before I am able to read any more, the doctor picks up his clipboard and hands me the glass of water. My dad helps me sit up, and I drink the entire glass.

"Allow me to introduce myself," the black haired doctor speaks to me for the first time. "I'm Dr. Matthew Carson." He motions to the doctor with the clipboard. "And this is Dr. Jonathan Fields. He is my assistant, fresh out of college." Dr. Fields nods in acknowledgement. "You've had all of us worried."

"What happened?" I ask.

"You don't remember?" my dad asks, surprised.

I shake my head in reply.

"I anticipated something like this to happen. It's an unusual circumstance and memory loss was a great possibility," Dr. Carson says.

"So," I try again, "what happened?"

"Kyleigh," my mom says as she holds my hand. "You were struck by lightning. You've been in a coma for five days."

"What?!" I ask, shocked. "What day is it?"

"Friday," Dr. Fields answers.

Friday?! I've missed an entire week of school! That's going to be so much makeup work, especially since it's the end of the year.

I was struck by lighting? When? The last thing I remember is talking to Caitlyn about the end of the school year. It must've happened after that but I don't remember anything else.

My dad glances at his watch. "Oh, shoot! We have to go pick up Kenzie from school." I look at the digital clock hanging on the wall just above the door. It reads 3:32 pm. School is out in three minutes. I'm not sure how long it takes to get from the hospital to the school, but either way, my little sister is going to have to wait a little while to be picked up.

"We'll be back as soon as we get Kenzie, okay?" Dad says to me.

"Okay," I say. He and my mom exit the room.

"Can I have some more water, please?" I ask when my throat suddenly feels extremely dry again. Dr. Fields pours another glass for me, and I empty it in a matter of seconds.