Chapter 20

"I just can't believe I was so stupid!" I complain, flopping onto Caitlyn's bed. It's the next day and I've refilled my water bottle three times already, but I still feel off. It's probably because I'm heartbroken.

"Don't be so hard on yourself. None of us would've seen this coming," Caitlyn attempts to comfort me, sitting on the bed beside me. I try to believe her words, but the only thing running through my mind is Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Kathryn sits down on the bed on the other side of me. I'm glad she knows now, because I need all the company and understanding I can get.

"When do you get your phone back?" Kathryn asks Caitlyn. Apparently she had it taken away yesterday afternoon. How convenient.

"I don't know. Hopefully my mom will give it back next week," she answers.

The change in topic doesn't last long because all I can think about is yesterday. "What am I supposed to do? Andrew is still going to be out there searching for Thunder."

"Do your powers work again?" Caitlyn asks.

"I don't know. I haven't tried yet." I sit up on the bed and hold my hand out in front of me. Testing my powers, I flick my fingers and small streaks of lightning fill my palm. I notice Kathryn's face light up in wonder. She is still getting used to the fact that I am Thunder. I stand, concentrating, and make myself hover three feet off the ground. I let myself fall onto the bed. "Yeah, they are working now." I pick up my water bottle from the desk and take a drink.

"Could you call the police to arrest Andrew?" Kathryn suggests.

"No, the police could track the phone call. I can't risk my secret getting out."

"What about going to the police station as Thunder and telling them about Andrew?" Caitlyn suggests.

"That isn't too unrealistic," I say. "But I need my suit fixed still. The hood is half ripped off."

My phone starts to buzz in my pocket. I take it out, finding an incoming call from... "Ryan," I sigh.

"Are you going to answer it?" Kathryn asks.

I shake my head. "I have nothing to say to him," I decide as I hit ignore. Just a moment later, he calls again. "Leave me alone!" I say angrily, wanting to shout. As I ignore the call again, an accidental streak of electricity shoots at my phone. With a crackling sound, the screen goes black. "Great, I just killed my cellphone."

"At least he can't call you again," Caitlyn comments.

"Yeah," I agree, pounding the buttons on my unresponsive phone. I give up and shove it back in my pocket.

"I know how to cheer you up!" Kathryn announces, whipping out her iPhone and playing some of my favorite music: Selena Gomez.

"Thanks," I say, humming along to the tunes.

The three of us get into the topic of music and we spend the next several minutes arguing over which singers are better than others. As Kathryn and Caitlyn debate between Olly Murs and Ed Sheeran, Caitlyn's father knocks on the door.

"Come in," Caitlyn calls.

He opens the door. "There's someone here to see Kyleigh."

Confused, I ask, "Who?"

"Some blonde fellow," he replies.

Are you kidding me? The moment I've finally forgotten about Ryan, he shows up. Why won't he just leave me alone?

I glance at Caitlyn and then at Kathryn. They know my thoughts.

"I'll get rid of him," Caitlyn decides, standing and walking out of the room down the stairs and to the front door. I don't know why, but I follow. Deep down, I guess I do want to see him. I wait at the bottom of the steps and listen to Caitlyn when she speaks.