Chapter 22

I don't have much time to comprehend the fact that my secret identity has been exposed to those who are within view of the park because Andrew throws Ryan off of him and charges at me. I fly into the air before he reaches me.

The early afternoon sun has disappeared behind the dark clouds. A streak of lightning flashes through the sky and thunder roars as the first drops of rain begin to fall.

I fly higher into the sky. The higher in the air someone is, the more likely that someone could be struck by lightning. I'm not afraid of it, though. What's the worst thing that could happen? I get superpowers?

Perhaps I'll be safer from Andrew up here with the storm protecting me.

Would he follow me up this high in this weather? Only if he is desperate enough.

He is desperate enough.

Andrew flies high into the sky to meet me. We play some sort of a game of tag for awhile: him coming after me and me moving out of his reach.

I don't know how long this goes on before I attempt an attack at him again. I'm tempted to use electricity, but I know it won't affect him in that suit. As I back away and he moves toward me once again, I suddenly shift directions and go straight at him, swinging my leg around and kicking Andrew in the back of his legs. It knocks him off balance and he falls over in the air, tumbling toward the ground.

The rain falls harder and faster from the clouds. Along with the wind, it feels cold, but it makes me feel calmer in spite of the current situation.

Andrew nearly regains his balance before he hits the ground, but lands awkwardly, causing him to fall down.

Red and blue lights, blurred by the rain, come toward us from the distance. Police.

I stay up high in my 'safety zone' for awhile. The rain has soaked my hair, causing it to stick to my face and neck. I pull it back as much as I can as I look down to Andrew.

In the falling rain and the dim light, it's hard to make out what is happening below. I see a figure, Andrew, run over to another figure that was trying to get away from the park. Ryan?

Andrew wouldn't hurt his brother, right? Oh, wait, I forgot. Andrew is insane! He probably would.

Maybe Ryan and I are over with, but there's no way I'm going to let him get hurt.

I rush down to the ground to find Andrew holding Ryan in a headlock. Police cars have just arrived and officers hurry out of their vehicles, wielding guns. They couldn't shoot or anything now though; Ryan is in the way. Caitlyn has arrived as well. She stands off by one of the crowds, her hand covering her mouth in shock.

"Let him go!" I yell at Andrew. "He has no part in this anymore. It's between just you and me!"

"How about a trade, then? You come willingly, and I let your pathetic boyfriend go."

He's not my boyfriend anymore, I think but don't bother saying. Andrew clearly hasn't gotten that memo yet.

"No, Kyleigh!" Ryan argues. "Don't do anything stupid!"

I sigh, weighing my options. A loud clap of thunder shakes the air, and I glance up at the sky seeing the flashes of lightning that appear at seemingly unpredictable intervals. If I concentrate, however, I can feel the electricity as it builds in the air. I'm almost able to predict when lightning is going to appear.

The lightning I create in my hands may be of no use, but maybe...

I have a plan. I don't know if it will work, but I'm out of other options.