Chapter 15

"Charlotte, you have to ask her," Kenzie scolded her soon to be sister.

"She's going to say no," Charlotte pleaded. "Either that or say yes and have her feelings hurt."

"Your mother's a grown woman. She'll get over it," Kenzie told her.

Cheer tryouts for the next season were over the course of spring break. Every spring break Carrie and Charlotte would go on a mission trip with the church. Carrie had asked Mike if him and MacKenzie wanted to come along, but they were not able to as MacKenzie had cheer tryouts. Watching her best friend at football and basketball games, Charlotte became interested in wanting to tryout. The thing was, she was afraid of what her mom was going to say about missing out on the mission trip to Haiti especially where Carrie was gone for a month and a half on tour.

Kenzie had been working with Charlotte on cheerleading. She was surprised that her friend was actually good. No, she couldn't do a standing back flip but her cheers, dance, and jumps were solid.

Carrie was finally coming home from a month and a half of being gone on tour. Mike, Ivey, and Mark were fixing dinner at the Underwood household to surprise Carrie while the girls were practicing their cheers out on the back porch. When the two best friends heard a car pulling up the long driveway, they couldn't help but run around to the front of the house. When they reached the front, Carrie was stepping out of her car.

"MAMA!" Charlotte yelled. Carrie's face lit up instantly when she saw her daughter run into her arms. She was so adorable whether she was 5 or 15.

"Oh, baby girl, I've missed you so much," Carrie spoke kissing her daughter on the side of the head. Her eyes looked over to Kenzie who was standing there awkwardly but smiling at the cute mother-daughter moment. She wish she had a relationship like that.

"Don't think I forgot about you, MacKenzie," Carrie smiled letting go of her daughter to embrace her soon to be other daughter. "I've missed you too."

"I've missed you," Kenzie spoke softly.

"Mike, Uncle Mark, and Aunt Ivey are all here. They made dinner to surprise you," Charlotte squealed.

"You just gave it away, Char," Kenzie teased.

"Oh whatever," Charlotte playfully rolled her eyes. "Come on. Let's head inside."

The girls headed inside to join the rest of the party that welcomed Carrie in their arms. Carrie was thrilled to see everyone but was especially excited about seeing someone in particular. When her handsome fiance came into view she couldn't help wrap herself up with them and immediately meet his lips.

"Ew, get a room," Charlotte called out.

"Ya," MacKenzie added unable to keep herself from laughing. "Save it for the honeymoon."

Carrie just turned towards the girls and childishly stuck out her tongue to them.

After a nice dinner that the adults had prepared, everyone cleared out where it was just the soon to be family of four.

"Charlotte, let's go practice some more," MacKenzie said.

"Practice what?" Carrie asked.

"Um..." Charlotte hesitated.

"Cheer," Kenzie answered for her best friend. "Charlotte wants to try out for the cheer team so I'm helping her."

"Oh," Carrie said surprised. "You never told me that."

"Well, I guess I am now," Charlotte blurted out in a semi-sassy tone. She then rose from her seat and followed Kenzie out back to practice not mentioning when exactly tryouts were.

"What was that attitude all about?" Carrie questioned Mike as she moved herself closer to him.

"Not sure," Mike shrugged.

"I feel like I've missed a lot since I've been gone," Carrie sighed.

"You've been gone for a while so that's bound to happen," Mike told her. "But you'll catch up to speed in no time."

"You know what I also need to catch up to speed on?" Carrie questioned Mike.

"Hm," Mike answered. Before he could give a real answer, Carrie snook up and gave him a long loving kiss. A kiss that haven't been given for a while because she's been gone. "I believe we do need to catch up on that."

Carrie blushed and laughed as Mike slowly leaned in for more.