Prologue

Hi, Readers!  If you'd like to watch the book trailer video, you can watch it in the previous chapter.  I venture to edit my work as I re-read it or have my fans message me about something. Please feel free to let me know, and I will edit as appropriate. **PLEASE do not copy my work in any way.**

 Hope you enjoy the book!

I gasped for breath with each fleeting step. With a glance back at the raging fire, my heart raced in despair. It was getting closer. My legs begged for me to stop. I ignored their exhausted plea and forced them to move faster. When I plunged through the underbrush and scattered berry patches, the thorns dug into my bare legs and tore at my arms. I clenched my teeth and held back a scream. Despite the stinging pain, I pressed on and yanked my nightshirt free of the remaining barbs and kept running.

The fiery woods crackled and snapped behind me. Fallen deadwood blocked my path at every turn. I jumped over a log and charged down the trail. Charred pine smoke clouded the air and made my lungs burn. I stumbled through the growing haze and tripped over an overgrown root. My hands and knees slammed onto the dirt with my foot lodged between a tree's roots.

Blinking back the tears, I heaved on my leg trying to escape the shackle of the twisted wooden jail. My pulse soared, I glanced over my shoulder again. Time was running out—he was coming. My boot cemented in place, I kicked at it with my other foot, trying to free myself.

"Stupid unyielding freaking..." I mumbled. It didn't budge an inch. I scanned the path again. He was getting close I could feel his presence. I had to get moving, or the flames would be the least of my worries.

Hey, sweetness. A little stuck? His voice echoed inside my head, invading my thoughts. Need some help? I'll be happy to escort you home. I felt him grin through our connection. His words floated in my head with a thick smugness that made my skin crawl.

"Not if I can help it," I said under my breath.

I reached down, grabbed the laces and wrenched with all my might. The boot cinched tighter until felt the old laces snap between my fingers. Winded and lying on my back, I tugged on my leg again. This time, my foot slid free of its wooden jail. Within a breath, I'd rolled over and hopped up and started my flight again, leaving my dusty boot behind.