Chapter Twenty-Three (Part two) -Already Taken

Whew...another chapter done! (or at least a part of one.)  Hope you enjoy the latest installment of the book. Thank-you everyone for your continued reading. A huge thank-you to HeaddieD and STACEYSIMPSON3 for helping me sort through all the NBR contest commentary that was left for me this week in my Prologue. 

"Ugh." I buried my head in the pillow. "No, you don't. Trust me. Can't you just leave it at that? You know, without all the personal torture?"

"Wren," he said trying to coax me to say more, "as hard as it will be for you to tell me, I have a feeling it will also be difficult for me to hear." He leaned in closer and whispered in my ear, "Besides a deal's a deal."

I groaned. "Why did I ever agree to those rules?"

"I like to think it was because you wanted to kiss me."

"Ha-ha. No— Maybe it was because I just wanted answers, that I was willing to agree to anything to get them."

"I would say I'm wounded, but you and I both know, that rule hasn't bothered you in the least," he boasted. I felt him release his hold around my waist when he rolled over onto his back. "All right, I'm listening. So, enough stalling already."

My stomach dropped, and my hands began to sweat. I didn't even know where to start. Kellan was going to hate me. Like officially freak out mad, hate me. A pit in my stomach grew with the thought of him leaving me to face Jaxon on my own.

"Wren, are you okay?"

"Uhhh..." I didn't know what to say to that.

"Here." He reached out his hand and interlaced his fingers with mine. "If I had just stood my ground with my father, none of this would have happened. So, whatever you're going to tell me, I blame myself for it. I totally deserve it."

"I'm not so sure about that. I'm fairly certain it was me that drank that Fire Bomb, then agreed to be Jaxon's ring partner. Not you."

His eyes went an icy blue. "You agreed to be his partner, again?"

"Uh, well, it wasn't like I was thinking all that straight. After Jax promised to get my mother out of the Fire Keep, any rational thought I had left just evaporated into a sort of love-drunk version of myself."

"Love-drunk?"

Wow, I was terrible at explaining myself. "Um, sorry, poor word choice."

He sighed. "Why not start at the beginning? I think I need to hear the whole story and how that sparkly ring ended up on your finger."

I took a deep breath, "You're a glutton for punishment. You know that, right? Fine, but remember, you wanted to know." When I got to the part about Jaxon not having a shirt on, and me washing my hand over his sweep, I thought he was going to change his mind about knowing all the details. He just lay there rigidly listening, with his fingers wrapped tightly around mine. Then when I told him I kissed Jaxon and agreed to be his partner, that was when he stopped me.