Epilogue: Always and Forevermore

~~Two Years Later~~

Today was the first day of the autumn month, the weather will become colder and every living thing will be getting ready to prepare for the winter.  The leaves on trees will turn brown or orange, animals are about to start gathering food so they can be prepared to hibernate, and humans are ready to get the harvest done and over with.  When a curious child asks why the seasons change like so their parents or other adults will then tell them the tale of Persephone and Hades.  There are different versions of the tale.  In one Hades kidnaps Persephone by riding in a chariot from the crack in the earth after the naive goddess picks the narcissus flower and forces the poor girl into marrying him.  In another Persephone is tricked to come away from the safety of her mother's garden and unknowingly falls into the gateway of the Underworld.  However different they all are they all have the same thread of the ending.  Zeus came up with a decision that had Persephone stay six months with her mother while the other six months are spent with her husband, and that is why the seasons change this way.

Whenever Kibum ends up getting wind of the tale the humans tell, he has to bite his tongue to not laugh at how inaccurate most of them are and to not correct them.  Yes, he can change into a female form like any of the other gods and goddesses but he was not born a woman.  He also wasn't even forced to do anything he didn't want to do, so how the humans thought that's what happened was hilarious.  Let the humans have their own ideas on how it happened, is what Taemin always tells his older brother whenever they walk through a human town just for fun.  Kibum couldn't agree more with the statement.  It was honestly amusing the kind of things humans can come up with when they tell stories about the gods that it's worth hearing.

Now though, Kibum is making sure everything in his earth home has been well organized and he wasn't missing anything that he wanted to take back to his real home.  It was a lovely hut with the walls made from stone and mortar while the roof was tile.  The inside though had the bare necessities such as a bed, table, stuff to help with cooking, a stove and a chest full of clothes.  He ended up building this house, with some help, after he decided to live on the surface.  He lived all by himself in a wide open field of tall grass, the nearest human town was only a mile away.  He did have visitors come, from time to time, but he mainly prefers the solitude.  After all, he was living up here for a certain amount of months before he returned to the place where he truly belonged.  Since today was the day that the next few months would be spent in the Underworld he packed up everything that he needed and went on his way.

He walked a ways away before arriving at a spot where the grass turned from green to yellow in front of a yawning, gaping hole on a mountain side.  Sensing the death and dark of the Underworld here Kibum smiled before walking into the cavern.  The vegetation god strode all the way down the steep path of rock before finally arriving at the entrance of Hades.  Passing through the gate he was immediately caught in a nuzzling attack by one of the heads of Cerberus.  Chuckling he started scratching the huge head of the dog, "Excited to see that I'm back, boy?" Cerberus answered by giving him a big lick on his front and part of his face.  Laughing Kibum muttered, "I know, I'm glad to be back as well." He then pulled out a treat he made for the three headed dog from his bag.  Cerberus became even more excited when Kibum set it down and told him, "You might want to get small to eat this so that all three of you have equal fill." The dog did so.  When he shrunk down to his fluffy form Cerberus ravaged the treat.  Having a smile on his face, Kibum knelt down to pet at each head before making his way to the boat waiting for him.

When Charon saw Kibum climbing onto the vessel he began to lower the paddle, "Welcome back, my queen." The young god replied, "Thank you, Charon." He then looked up ahead saying, "To the palace, please." The ferryman just muttered, "Yes, my queen." Before pushing off the bank of the river and started paddling so that the boat drifted right in the middle of the Styx.  Silence was present for the rest of the trip.  Kibum looked around the dark area of the realm seeing that it was the same as always.  It was good to be back.

When the boat finally stopped in front of the palace, Kibum got off and lowered his head in respect to the ferryman before heading up the steps.  He was halfway there when the doors opened and his husband walked out.  Seeing him there caused Kibum to run up as fast as he could.  Minho just waited with his arms outstretched before his wife practically slammed into his front and wrapped his arms around his neck.  Just as quickly Minho entrapped the other's waist in his arms as he lifted his wife up and spun them.  Causing Kibum to shriek in surprise before laughing in the process.  Lowering him down Minho pulled away a bit, to where he can get a good look at Kibum while still holding onto his beloved.  Moving his hands to cup Kibum's face he said to him, "Welcome home, love." Before lowering his head to kiss his lover after so many months being apart from him.

~~~~~

The night had come and the lovers laid on their bed in the afterglow of their passion.  Sheets and limbs tangled as they were catching their breath.  Kibum smiling as Minho held him close and caressed his cheekbone with his thumb.  After a while Kibum asked, "How have things been since I last saw you?" Since they were on their sides facing each other Minho had to shrug with one shoulder, "The same as always, nothing new." Kibum hummed in acknowledgement.  When Minho moved a stray hair out of Kibum's face he asked, "What about you, what's been happening on the surface?" At the question Kibum grinned.

He then told his lover, "Well, Taemin and Jonghyun are finally getting married." With wide eyes Minho asked, "Really, when?" "Two weeks time, right in Olympus." Kibum explained and scooted closer to his husband before adding, "Also Taemin invited both of us to be there." Raising an eyebrow Minho wanted to confirm the information , "Both of us?" Kibum nodded, "He did while saying, and I quote 'It's not fair if you come without your husband.' " Minho chuckled, "Well that was considerate of my brother-in-law." "Yep, that's my baby brother for you." Kibum replied before burying his face in the crook of Minho's neck.

A few minutes pass in silence as they continued to hold each other.  It was broken when Minho said, "If I hadn't saw you that day you wouldn't be with me." Taken aback by that Kibum looked up at his husband, "Where did that come from all the sudden?" Sighing Minho looked away from the other, "I can't help but think that, even though I don't like the compromise, your mother and I have to do in order for humanity to survive.  I don't like sharing my lover but at least I get to keep you.  Even so I can't help but think if we hadn't met what would've happened." Kibum understood what Minho was saying.  A few times he thought of those kinds of things as well.  If they never met or had never found each other what would've happened.  Knowing the answer Kibum said, "I would've still been trapped in Olympus, waiting for my chance to start being myself and you would've been here alone without ever knowing the love of another." Even as he was saying the truth he couldn't help but tear up.  He hated imagining a life without the man he loved.  He was then brought out of his negative thoughts when Minho pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead, muttering quietly, "Don't think about it, I shouldn't have brought it up." Kibum shook his head, "It's alright, it's only natural to be curious about our destinies the fates have woven in their loom.  What they would've done as well as what they didn't do." This brought a small smile on Minho's face.

Smiling himself, Kibum then pressed a kiss on his husband's lips.  With their lips still brushing together Kibum muttered, "I love you so much." Minho replied just as quietly, "I love you too, always have and always will." They kissed each other again.  Even though it's been years since they married it always felt like it was just yesterday that they confessed to one another.  No matter what happens, what obstacles that may come in the future, they will always love each other.  If they weren't meant to be then the fates wouldn't have twined their strings together in the first place.  They'll be with each other from now and forevermore.  Binded by love for all eternity until existence ends.