Emms

What the hell was she thinking?!

I am only calm because Blake forced me to be presentable for Kat. She had a long night. But it was also a stupid one. I take a breath and sit back down for the hundredth time. The only thing I can think of is if I'm capable of retaining my anger right now. My blood boils at the thought of having those people near us. They are the enemy. If there's one thing I know, you cannot befriend the enemy. It's much easier for them to stab you in the back...

The sound of the doorbell brings me back to reality and Christina is the first one to greet Kat at the door. We're all excited to see our friends after tonight. It's nearly midnight and it was almost difficult for them to leave. Seems like Mr. President had so much fun with them that it became hard for him to let them go. Luckily, Kat seems to have a way with her words that can connect with anyone. I admire that from her. She has the power to control people with her friendly personality while I have the power to control them with my mind.

Not bad. At least I know who to trust!

Despite my fake smiles and hugs, she knows I'm disappointed when her blue eyes show a hint of recognition in my own eyes. I don't have to dig into her head in order to know that she's intimidated. She should be.

Mia and Jordyn both run up to Nikki to give her a tight hug. At last, Jordyn's muscles relax and relief fills his heart at the hold of his sister. I tried everything and nothing seemed to help his nerves. Though he wasn't the only one who almost had a heart attack today. And for a second, we all put aside our differences and take a moment of happiness together.

At last they're home.

Though my heart sinks and my blood starts to boil when Alexander clears his throat loudly and we all pay our attention to him. The room once again goes back to its tensed silence. He always has a weird way of expressing himself. When Kat decided to trust Mister MoneyBoy, his expression was blank. I, too, look at him expectantly at his reaction towards Kat today.

He slowly takes off his glasses and gives them a small smile. But just as he is about to say something, his mouth shuts when his eyes land on Christina. His mind seems to be running and working as he looks for the words to say. Finally, he says, "Good job tonight, kids. I'm proud of you all." His eyes go around the room to the rest of us that stayed in the Lab. "But there are things that we need to discuss tomorrow morning. So if we could all be back here for breakfast would be great." And with almost a sad smile, he leaves the living room. His exhausted posture is a reflection of what we're all feeling now.

The moment he disappears, Christina gets ready to take Mia to her place. Nikki and Jordyn take that as a chance to start to their house. For a second, my anger cools down when Jordyn gives me a small wink and kisses me on the cheek. "Goodnight beautiful. Dream about me."

I let a smile form on my tight lips and say, "You wish." And with a quiet chuckle, he disappears into the dark night.

Nikki takes a moment to say her goodbyes. The awkwardness she had before with Dom seemed to have changed tonight when I watch her still give her a stiff nod, but it quickly turns into a quick hug. For the first time, Dom does not carry that hint of his annoying self as he holds on to her embrace even after she leaves the house. He gives us a small smile and leaves the room. This night has certainly impacted all of us in some way.

Now we're left just the three of us, and we watch as Kat takes off her high heels with a sigh of relief and puts down the pretty bun Blake did on her. Then she looks at us and her eyes immediately grow back to it's intimidated shine. She steps up to me and raises her hands slowly. "Look. I can explain what I did."

"Please do," I say sternly. I cross my arms on my chest and say, "Because we were all quite surprised of what you did."

"But!" Blake steps up and gives me a look. I ignore it and stand my ground as her expression softens and says, "But we trust that you know what you're doing, Kat."

Kat smiles at Blake's soft hand on her shoulder and nods. "Thanks, Blake." Her eyes grow dark as she looks back at me and that playfulness disappears as she says, "I just have this feeling that he's going to help us."

"The thing is that you can't just decide off of feeling, Kat!" My hands turn into fists from within my arms and furrow my eyebrows at her. "You can't just risk all of our lives just because he's cute!"

This time Kat's blue eyes grow wide in surprise and anger makes her eyebrows furrow as well. Even Blake seems to look at me with confusion at what I just said. "Wh-what? What do you mean? I don't think he's..." That recognition goes back in her dark eyes and hurt replaces that shine. "Did you dig into my mind? H-how...Why would you do that?"

My heart shrinks at the sight of her hurt and her eyes starting to swell up with tears. She fights them back as she straightens her back and crosses her arms on her chest. I'm reminded of the time when I told her she was not one of us. I sigh with regret and step up slowly. "Kat. I--"

Kat steps away from me and this makes me stop. Surprise and hurt fall onto my own heart as I watch her give me a look. Her voice is only a quiet whisper as she says, "I...I thought you were different, Emms."

"Kat. I'm sorry. I just....It was on accident. I was angry right now and my mind just connected with you almost out of instinct and--"

"Don't." I fall silent again at this as she bites her lips and looks down at the floor. Tears threaten to fall as she says, "Don't ever look inside my head without my permission, Emms. Just because you can be the most powerful person in the house, it does not make you the smartest."

"Excuse me?" Anger starts to run through my veins and I forget of my regret. Instead, I scoff with surprise and say, "And what makes you the smartest person here? Well, let me tell you that just because you have an important role in this mission, doesn't mean you know what you're doing."

"Then you take my place!" Blake seems to jump at the sudden raise in tone in Kat's voice. But I raise my chin and stand my ground as I watch her come closer to me. Angry tears fall down her cheeks as she says, "I never wanted this. I don't even know why I was sent here. But the reason why I'm doing this is because I want answers. And for you."

I'm left without words at this last part. I watch her as she takes a step back and takes a deep breath. She gives us both one last look and starts up the stairs. Blake looks back at me and a hint of disappointment shines in her brown eyes. She does a sad sigh and starts up the stairs. They both left without another word.

And I'm left alone. Once again. I let my legs slowly grow weak and I sit down at the couch behind me. I let out a sigh of defeat and let my head fall in my hands. Exhaustion immediately falls on my shoulders and slowly at my heart. And my body trembles at the thought that Kat is right. She always is. She's only doing this for us. For a better future for her "gifted" sisters. She could easily just walk away, but she always seems to look at us for strength. For determination. And all I'm giving her is pain and doubt.

Why do I always have to end my day like this?