Kat

I numbly stare at the letter in my hands.

The fine red print on the brown colored paper shines under the lights in my room. I keep rereading it, unable to believe its content.

Miss Kat,

I have been informed of the courageous act you have made with my son. I cannot be more thankful for your kind and brave act. You truly have a talent in the medical field. Now, I would like to give you my dearest gratitudes in person instead.

My associates will be picking you up tomorrow evening. Be ready by the time they arrive.

Once again, thank you for your service.

Sincerely written by: President Marquez

My fingers go over the sophisticated scribbles that indicate the President's official

signature. The moment I opened the fine envelope last night, Emms arrived from her date. I watched her soaked self enter the living room and her eyes shining with joy. Though I was surprised by her sudden appearance, I wasn't able to react in my naturally teasing way. I just looked back at the envelope in my hands; ignoring Blake's curious questions towards Emms. When they notice the envelope, they all fall silent. With the same fearful pit in my stomach when I found the envelope in a small hole in my wall, I started reading the letter out loud.

Now, as I read it again for the hundredth time, my heart races and shivers go

through my body. I know what's coming. This is going to be the first towards our mission.

A soft knock brings me out of the numbness within and I turn to see Sam leaning on the door frame. His yellow eyes carry a mixture of sadness and tenderness. I smile slightly at his smooth voice when he says, "Hey. Can I come in?" When I nod, he comes in and sits next to me on the couch.

"Hey." My voice comes out in a small whisper.

The feeling of his touch brings me to look up from the floor. He holds my hand all in a gentle movement. His soft hands nearly bring tears to my eyes, but I refuse to let them come out. I clear my throat and say, "I-I'm just feeling scared. Now that it's here, I just feel numb. I-I know you all have my back, but--"

"Nobody is obligated to be brave at times like this." Sam's soft voice makes me look into his beautiful yellow eyes. "It's okay to be scared. It's part of being human." He gives me a small smile and I feel a wide smile forming on my face.

"You mean it's part of being normal."

Sam laughs loudly when I say this. "In some sense then yes, it's part of being normal." We chuckle for a moment until I notice that my hand is still in his. I squeeze it and let go; giving him a warm smile. "Hey, thanks for always being there for me. You really are a great friend."

"Yup. A great friend." Sam's look falls to his hands and quietly observes them. With regret, I open my mouth to fix the awkward comment until Blake enters the room.

Her eyes seem to look at the scene with mixed feelings. This suddenly catches my attention when she clears her throat and Sam looks up. For a moment she looks at Sam and says, "I'm sorry. Did I--"

"No. Don't worry," Sam says as he gets up from the couch. His jaw clenched and his muscles tense as he looks back at me. A small glimpse of sadness fills his eyes for a quick second until he says, "I also came here to tell you Alexander wants to see us downstairs." And with that, Sam walks out of the room without looking at neither me or Blake.

Blake stands there awkwardly and her eyes seem to fall to where Sam used to be on the couch. "What happened?" Her worried eyes finally reach mine as she says this.