Emms

I don't know if we've ever entered the house as normal teenagers.

If only we could enter with a wide smile and throw our bags across the room and start watching the television. Blake enters Kat's room to do some karaoke or dance to their music while I make fun of them as I sit on their couch. Then our mother calls us for dinner and we race down the stairs to see who gets to the table first.

But none of that can ever happen.

I, once again, enter the house with a tired sigh of today's incident. Kat and Blake each silently enter their rooms and I just stand in front of my door. Once again, leaning my forehead on its white metal material. I seem to do this a lot lately. I close my eyes and let my arms hug me from this coldness that has overwhelmed me. After realizing that Kat saved the President's son today, a mixture of adrenaline and worry fills my body; making me feel more tired at each thought of it.

With a weak push, I enter my room and drop my bag on the couch. My feet then take me to my drawings on the wall. So far I have Erik's death. Now, I have to add today. As I start to lift up my finger to draw today's images, The Helper's voice stops me in my tracks.

"Hello Emms. How was your day today?"

I don't respond back at the machine until it continues it's usual conversation. "I notice you have an elevated rate of stress and exhaustion."

"How nice of you to notice," I say sarcastically. "Can you leave me alone please?"

"Very well then," the machine says. "But before I go, I would like to remind you of today's date with Jordyn. Are you ready?"

This catches me by surprise. I nearly drop my phone on the floor as I hear the machine say this. "How did you know that?! Wait. Today is Friday?" My heart falls to my feet. I forgot all about Jordyn. No wonder I have to drop off Nikki by her house tonight. Then why did he ask me about Friday? Was he testing me if I remembered it was today? He probably forgot also.

"When you put your cellular device on your nightstand, it does not only charge the battery but it also transfers all the information and the reminders you put in your phone during the day. This way, it becomes much easier to access something from your device without having to look for it."

Shock just overwhelms me as I hear the machine say this. "Okay. Tell me what time it is."

"It is 6:30 pm." I nearly faint when I hear this. I quickly chose a few outfits from the closet and start at the door. "Would you like any suggestions for your accessories?"

"No! I have my sisters for that. Thank you."

I find myself knocking rapidly on Blake's door as I hear Kat's loud music and Blake's loud laugh. Nikki opens the door with furrowed eyebrows. I can only imagine the face I have that her anger turns into worry.

I ignore her concerned question and enter the room. I lay the outfits on Blake's bed. Kat looks at me with creases on her forehead. With her eyebrows raised, she says, "Hey, Emms. Sooo...what is all this for?" Her worried tone carries tease in it that makes me roll my eyes at her. I feel relieved that she has changed out her bloody clothes and she's back to normal. As if nothing had ever happened today. It's amazing how she can move on so quickly by just putting on her playful smile. Blake and Nikki come over to observe the outfits I have picked out.

"Guys. I never thought I would say this, but I need your help."

"Gee thanks!" Kat's wide smile reaches her shining eyes as she lowers down the volume of her music. This makes Blake do her loud laugh. Though it's quite an odd and booming laugh, the contagious sound of it always makes me smile.