Grudges Don't Make Friends

CHAPTER 23 - Grudges Don't Make Friends

It was early morning when I heard Abigail's voice in the living room. She was trying to sound calm, but it wasn't working. I heard a man's voice and realized it was John. I quietly slipped out of bed and walked down the hall. I could see John sitting on the couch and he looked exhausted. He caught a glimpse of me and stood when he realized who I was. He looked like the same old John. The one that I had built a life with in Sunset Ridge.

"Miss Cassidy, I'm so sorry." He began to apologize. I hugged him and motioned for him to sit down. I sat next to him and looked into his eyes to make sure this was the John I knew. I was.

"I'm so happy you are okay."

"Cassidy, I don't know what happened. One second I was outside of the barn, waitin' on you to come back and then next thing I knew I woke up next to an empty wagon with no memory at all." I knew my face was sympathetic, and I really felt sorry for him, but I was still mentally and physically exhausted from the night before. But I was glad that he was okay and had his memory back.

"It's okay. Everythin' is fine." I said while smiling. Abigail looked at me for a moment and then told me about her and John's conversation.

"Cassidy, John has been tellin' me about the farm you got goin' all by yourself in Sunset Ridge. I must say, I've never met a girl like you. It takes a lot of time to do somethin' like that and you did it while you were pregnant! I'm impressed!"

"Oh, Mrs. Mason -" She cut me off to correct me.

"Honey, either call me Abigail or Maw. Mrs. Mason was Zachary's mother and was not someone I was fond of." I smiled at her and corrected myself out loud.

"Maw.... I had a lot of help from John and his cousin, Landon. I couldn't have done it without them. I couldn't even buy a house until I ran into John." I thought about the day I ran into him at the diner. I let the scene play over in my head, all the way til we bought the house.

"Well I think you are a fine young man, Mr. Britt. Cassidy, I assume you named the baby after him?"

"Yes ma'am. I thought it would be a great way to thank him for all he's done for me and for Britt."

John smiled at me and I knew for sure that the man I'd lived with was back in his body and in his right mind. I just didn't know how Cole was going to take it. John had become a best friend to me, I didn't want things to end badly. John's facial expression turned serious, almost like he could read my mind. "I need to talk to Cole when he wakes up. It's important." I nodded slowly and wondered what he would say, what Cole would say.

"Let me get breakfast cookin'." Abigail said as she went into the kitchen. John and I stared at each other for about a minute before he broke the silence.

"I'm real sorry, Cassie. I know I caused a lot of trouble last night." He had the saddest expression in his deep blue eyes and it made me feel quilty.

"It wasn't your fault, you didn't know and Catherine took advantage of you. I'm not mad, I promise." After I said the last part I gave him a wide smile. He hugged me and I hugged him back.

After breakfast, Elizabeth pulled me to the side and her question surprised me. "Cassidy, tell me more about this man." I knew exactly why she wanted to know when I saw the smitten look in her eyes. I giggled and she covered my mouth. That only made it worse. He and Cole had stepped outside so she didn't need to be so secretive. "Cassie! Shhh!"

"He is a very kind and gentle man with a big heart and he would do anythin' for anybody. He's a hard worker and he is quite funny." I said with a dramatic voice. Elizabeth smiled and grabbed my hand.