The Calm Before the Storm

CHAPTER 14 - THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

      After I'd finished feeding Britt and he was calm, I looked up to meet Cole's eyes. He hadn't really acted the way I'd thought, but then again I didn't really expect him to be here. He looked troubled, so I finally just asked him, “Is there somethin' wrong?”

       Cole Mason was not the picture of 'Father of the year', nor was I 'Mother of the year'. However, I now understood what women meant when they said having a child would change your life and your perspective of it from then on. I knew Cole and I would have to work our problems out for the sake of Britt. I wanted him to grow up in a home with both of his parents, just as I had.

      “We have a lot of talkin' to do. I's just thinkin' of what to say.” He admitted in a low voice. He never took his eyes off of me and when it became awkward I just looked down to Britt who was sticking his hand in his mouth and yawning occasionally.

      “I know. I have a lot I wanna say to you.” I shifted in the chair and waited for Cole's response. When there wasn't one I looked at him. He had his chin propped in his hand as he leaned lazily across the table. He seemed to be thinking, so I didn't continue. The adrenaline had wore off and I was feeling the pain all over my body. My face was hot from the bruises and the rest of me ached in a way I hadn't felt since I had Scarlet Fever. To say the least, I didn't feel well enough to push any issues.

      A few minutes later we were joined by Seth. He didn't knock or announce himself, he just waltz in as though he lived here and made himself comfortable across the table from his younger brother. “When is it my turn to see my nephew?” He asked with a wide grin that similar to the one Cole would have, just not as crooked. I smiled while looking at Britt and then up to Seth. I stood and made my way around the table. Seth straightened up in the chair and I made the hand off, trying to be as careful as possible. “He looks like me. Yeah, boy, you take after Uncle Seth. You gon' have them women all over you one day.” I giggled and returned to my chair.

      Cole finally stood and walked to the door. He turned and gave me a look that said 'come with me', so I did. I asked Seth to hold him for a while and when he agreed, I followed Cole outside. We walked next to the fence and just when I thought it was going to be awkward silence, he began to speak. “Cassie, I jus' don't even know where to start. I know what I did was wrong, and I know you don't trust me, but I do love you.” His words tore at my heart and I believed him, but he was right about me not trusting him. That was something he was going to have to win back.

      “I still don't understand why you wanted me to leave. You could have told me... gave me a better explanation."

      “I knew I was wrong for you. Cassidy, I've got you in so much trouble since the day we met and I never meant to... That wasn't the life I wanted you to be in.” I knew he meant well, but he could have gone about it in a much better way. He continued to explain after I picked up a small daisy and started to pick the petals away. “I was never mad at you or lost any feelins' for you. I just didn't want you to get hurt or be miserable. I hoped you'd find someone better and forget about me, but when I found out you were pregnant I couldn't let that happen. I wanna get married and I wanna help you raise our son.”

      I picked the last petal off the daisy and tossed it to the side. I kept my eyes on the ground because if I looked at Cole I was going to cry. “So what does this mean for us now?” I quietly asked. Cole stopped as we reached the road and grabbed my hand.

      “It means I love you and I'm here, ready to make up for everythin' if you'll let me. I'm sorry.” I didn't look at him until he took his other hand and lifted my face up to his. I forgave him.