Family

CHAPTER 13 - FAMILY

The sound of hooves pounding the wet ground and the wind blowing through the tall grass filled my ears. It was getting fairly cold and the leaves on the surrounding trees were turning red and brown and orange. My lower half was becoming saddle sore and I was relieved when we came over the hill and I could see the small town of Sunset Ridge.

I breathed a long sigh and Cole took a backwards glance at me. I missed those blue eyes, but I still wasn't convinced. I was unsure of what was ahead of me. I only wanted to see my baby.

We rode through town and Seth and Jack stopped at the store to get something to eat. We parted ways after Seth called, "I'm so damn hungry I could eat my horse!"

"My house is about-" I began before Cole interrupted me to tell me that he'd already been to my house when they first arrived and were looking for me. I didn't say anything else. I simply nodded and we continued on the small dirt road that led out of town. I had traveled this road many times during my stay here in Sunset Ridge. Sometimes for leisure, others for work or needed items, and a few times because of my recent unfortunate situation.

I remembered the ride to town when I had gone into labor with Britt. I was so afraid, but I didn't have time to think about it because of the pain. That was unlike any pain I'd ever had. It wasn't that it was worse, it was just new to me and I didn't know what to expect. My emotions intensified my pain that morning.

My thoughts were interrupted when we came to an abrupt halt. I looked over Cole's shoulder to see Landon walking down the path from my home. He stopped with a scared doe look in his eyes, but relaxed when he saw me. He was hesitant, however, to approach us. I called out to him, "Landon! It's so good to see you! Where is Britt?"

"He's with Ann, Miss Cassidy. I was just checkin' the horses and the cattle. Ya'll just follow me back to the house." He called as he mounted his horse. Cole seemed to tense when Landon trotted by us. That made me wonder what happened when Cole had been here before. Landon's homestead was just a mile or so from mine, so the ride was short.

We stopped in front of the small home and I waited for Cole to get off his horse so I could slide down. He reached up and helped me to the ground and I ran for the door. I heard Britt's cry before I stepped inside and I felt the warm moisture of happiness brim my eyelids.

"Oh, Miss Cassidy, I'm so happy you're okay!" Ann shouted as she stood from the small wooden rocking chair in their kitchen. I ran to her, not because she was the one I missed, but because she held my tiny child in her left arm. She handed him over to me and placed her pale hand on my shoulder. "He's a good baby, no trouble at all." I smiled and stroked his tiny red cheek. He had a full head of black hair and chubby little cheeks. He had my mouth, but I could see that he had Cole's nose and eyebrows. I could still see their shape even though the hair was just black peach fuzz. He was nothing less than beautiful.

I heard Ann gasp when she looked towards the door at the man who had followed me inside. She had only heard a description of Britt's father, but she knew it was him. She looked at me sympathetically and then back to Cole. I heard his boots slowly hit the floor as he stepped closer to me and our son.

Ann had an expression of protest on her face, but never verbalized it. I turned around to face Cole, and the look on his face was almost unexplainable. He looked pained, happy, scared, and proud at the same time. He was looking at me until he got close enough to tilt his head down and look at Britt. I was sure he was trying hard to keep himself composed, but his emotions were ready to get the best of him.

"He's pretty." He said softly. There was a little crack in his voice and I prayed he wasn't going to cry. I stepped closer to him and rested my head on his chest while keeping Britt visible so Cole could further study his first born. "His name is Britt?" I nodded and smiled. Cole wrapped an arm around me and I felt him kiss my head. It's strange how the things, or people, in life that can make you the saddest, can also make you the happiest.

An hour later, I was settled into my home again. This time, however, there was a real family here. A mother, a father, and a child. Cole was holding Britt while he sat in the kitchen. He couldn't keep his eyes off of him and that made me happy. I loved watching them. I was watching a new father connect with his son, his only son. Britt suddenly let out an ear piercing wail and the look on Cole's face was absolutely priceless. With an expression of a child who had just got into trouble, he asked, "What did I do?" I laughed.

"You didn't do anything, he's just hungry." I answered as I took him and situated him for feeding. Cole looked surprised when I lowered the shoulder of my dress so Britt could eat, but he didn't say anything. He just watched as if it was something he was going to need to know one day. It wasn't like he could breast feed. I mentally laughed.