A Woman Must Be Married

CHAPTER 1 - A Woman Must Be married

     The small town of Sunset Ridge, was a quiet little place. So far, everyone had been really nice since I arrived. I stopped here yesterday, and spent the night in the hotel. I was told to go to the bank to find a piece of land for myself. I dressed nicely and put my hair in a pony tail on the side. I wore a hat that matched my dress and was ready to get down to business.

    I left the hotel and looked for the bank. It wasn't a very big place, so I didn't have to look long. The bank was located next to the small courthouse. I walked in and took a seat in one of the wooden chairs while I waited.

    "Hello, Miss. Can I help you?" The banker was short, and had blonde hair. He wore glasses and a nice, grey suit. He flashed me a smile and I returned it. I stood and walked to the counter, ready to beg if I had to.

     "Hello, I was told to come here about buyin' some land." I stated, and he looked at me for a moment before scratching his head.

     "Well, Miss. I can't sell you any land. If you bring your husband with you I will be more than happy to help." He looked down, realizing I was pregnant. He assumed I was married, so I played along.

     "That might be a problem, sir. My husband is ill, and sent me here myself since he could not make the trip. He will be very unhappy if I come back empty handed. He is lookin' forward to movin' here and I do not want to disappoint him." I said, trying to sound slightly sad. The banker seemed to consider for just a moment, and then pulled out a book and skimmed through some of the pages.

     "Miss, I do have some land available, but I'm afraid the law says I cannot sell any piece of property to a woman, unless her husband is present and gives his consent."

     "This is goin' to upset him real bad. He's awfully tired of livin' in the place we came from. I do not know how to tell him." I tried to make myself shed a tear, and I did. I thought I had won him over. Until the Marshal came in.

    "Howdy, Marshal." The banker called as soon as the door opened. The marshal tipped his hat to me and addressed the banker.

    "Mr. Walden. When you are finished here with this young lady I need to talk to you. Take your time, I'm in no hurry."

     "Oh, yes... yes, sir. Ma'am, please bring your husband by so we can get this worked out." Mr. Walden gave me a smile. I didn't smile back at him. I just walked out like a zombie. I couldn't believe there was actually a law that a woman could not buy land. It was ridiculous. I shouldn't have to be married to buy a house, or land.

     I slowly made my way back to the saloon. A few children were playing out front and stopped when they saw me. "Miss, is that a baby?" One of the little boys asked. I smiled at him sweetly and nodded. "My maw has a baby too."

     "You don't sound very happy?" I asked while leaning over and placing my hands on my knees. He shook his head and made a frown.

     "I don't want another little brother. I have two already!" I laughed and he sort of smiled. I was about to walk around him when another voice said my name.

     "Miss Cassidy?" A little girl's voice said. I whipped around to see a little brown haired girl with big brown eyes. She looked like me, and apparently knew who I was.

     "Yes? Who are you?" I asked, trying not to sound startled. She grinned and ran to me. She flung her arms around my legs and squeezed tightly. I had no idea who this child was.

     "I knew it was you!" She screamed with excitement, "I'm Mary Beth. I saw you a long time ago, you were real sick. Mr. Cole found me and took me to the marshal. I have new parents now and this is where we live." My mouth hung open for a few moments, before I composed myself. I had heard the story about this little girl, her parents had left her in the plains and Cole found her on his way back with my medicine. That all seemed so long ago.

     "Oh... I don't remember meetin' you, Mary Beth. I did hear a lot about you though." I tried to smile, but I couldn't. It hurt to think about Cole. I didn't want to cry in front of the children, but I thought I was going to.

     "You didn't! When I came to tell Mr. Cole bye, he told me you were real sick, and I told him I would pray for you. I saw you through the doorway before I left." She looked sad, but then happiness flushed across her face again. "Where is Mr. Cole?"

     "I don't know." That was all I could say. I was afraid if I had said more, I'd burst into tears. Mary Beth hugged me and told me bye. Her new mother was walking out of one of the stores and called to her. Mary Beth waved at me before jumping in their wagon.

      I made myself walk. I finally made it up to my room inside the hotel and took off my hat. I set it on the vanity and then opened the window. It was hot, and stuffy inside the little room. The breeze wasn't any cooler, but at least the air was circulating. I was trying to keep myself together, and failing miserably. A tear would fall now and then, and I felt even more defeated each time. Finally, the bottom fell out and I cried so hard I couldn't breathe. I sat right there, on the bed, with my face in my hands. I cried for what seemed like an eternity.

     It was late afternoon when I finally got it all back together. I had my cry, got it all out, and now I could move on. That is what I made myself believe. I was hungry, so I went to the small diner next to the saloon.

     I walked in and sat down at one of the empty tables. I didn't care what they had, I just wanted something to eat. The man who came to take my order looked like Mr. Cartwright, my boss at the saloon back in West Wood. When he left to get my  food, I became lost in a day dream. It was as if one of the voices from the past jumped right out of my head. "Hey! Miss Cassidy! You're alive!"

     I turned around to the table behind me. I felt a smile spread across my face as I watched the man stand up and come running towards me. "John!" I called to him, standing up. He hugged me and backed away when he felt my baby bump. He looked down and his eyes widened. He kept his smile, though I could tell he was uneasy.

     "Where is everybody?" He asked, his uneasiness increasing. I looked down at the floor and shook my head.

     "I'm alone. I'm tryin' to make a better life for myself... and my... baby," I said while touching my belly, "but I can't even buy land since I don't have a husband."

      Confusion swept across John's face, and he motioned for me to sit down. I did and he sat across from me. "Miss Cassidy, what happened?"

      I relived the painful events, and told him every detail. I even told him about Seth kissing me. He listened intently, and nodded every once in a while. When I was finished, he didn't say anything for a few minutes, until his face lit up and he gave me a wide smile.

     "I have an idea, Miss Cassidy. Come on, let's go get you a house."