The Letter

CHAPTER 6 - The Letter

It had been a few days and the farm I wanted was coming along great. I had more hands and was making a little more money than before. It was back breaking work, but I loved it. We sold the milk from the cows and the vegetables we grew. I was looking more pregnant everyday, and my baby moved constantly. I had a feeling it was going to be a boy. I decided on William Britt Smith. William was my Paw's first name, Billy was just what everyone called him. If I had a girl, I decided on Ella Grace.

I still hadn't thought much about what John had said the other night. I was having feelings for him. He was the one who was here, he's helped me beyond what I could have asked for. He took care of me and he was always ready to wait on me on the days I didn't feel well. He was a sweetheart and so much more caring than I deserved. He almost died because of me. Yet, it was like he completely forgot about the past. He was willing to ignore the fact that I was carrying another man's baby and wanted to raise this child as his own. I didn't want to raise this baby by myself, he or she needed a present father. Not just one I told them about.

I woke up early the next morning to get ready for the day, but actually ended up going back to bed. My feet hurt and my ankles were swollen. My belly was starting to really get in the way and sleep was almost impossible. I slept until that afternoon. I finally decided to give up on it and went to the kitchen. John was sitting at the table with a newspaper. He must have gone to town earlier. I picked up the broom and started sweeping. Then I noticed the milk jug was almost empty.

"John, I need some milk. We're runnin' low on butter, I need to make some more. I have to have biscuits ready in the mornin' for the hands." I stated while sweeping the floor. No matter how many times I would sweep, the floor accumulated so much dust and dirt that it looked like I haven't cleaned in a year. Don't get me wrong, I loved this house. It was mine. Well, technically it was in John's name.

"Okay, Cassie. I'll get it as soon as I get done fixin' that damn fence." John sounded frustrated, and I looked at him. I was curious about that fence. It seemed like it always fell apart in the same spot.

"Isn't this the third time you've had to fix it?" I questioned. He nodded and rubbed his forehead. He set the paper on the table and stood up.

"I reckon them horses are gettin' spooked at night and runnin' into it. I'm gonna have to watch tonight to see what it is."

"I haven't heard anythin' at night. I hear coyotes durin' the day, but I've never heard anythin' at night."

John just shook his head. The thought popped in my head again that maybe someone was breaking the fence on purpose. Either for meanness or trying to steal our horses. We only had three. That's not much worth stealing. There hadn't been any crime out this way since I moved here. Everyone was so nice and polite. Even though I was carrying a baby by a man I was not married to, or even knew where he was, everyone was still nice. But only because no one knew the truth.

"I don't know. It could be the wood I'm usin'. I ain't cut no more since last month, and these have gotten wet. I'll cut some fresh wood and try that. If it breaks again, then we'll know somethin' is goin' on." John said before walking out the door. I continued to sweep.

The house was small, and only had two rooms. So, it wouldn't take long to finish sweeping. I didn't have the convenience of a bathroom. Not many people had one inside. We had the outhouse around back, and a bath tub in the shed next to it. The people who lived in town were the only ones privileged with an inside wash room. That thought took me back to the saloon, 8 months ago.

I had my own room, and my own bed, even though John was starting to spend most of his time here since he lied to help me get this house, I was okay with it. It just made things a little awkward, especially after he told me he loved me. I did a cleansing that morning and burned sage in all the corners. I hoped that the spirits of the former owners had passed on. I never had any encounters, so I took that as confirmation, but I just wanted to be sure.